Router bits

Discussion in 'Kitchen Fitters' Talk' started by chibster, Aug 19, 2017.

1. chibster

chibster New Member

Afternoon all frustrating questions I need to ask...

how many runs through laminate worktop would you expect a cutter to last?

Why are the kitchen fitters straight cutters the length they are when you only use about 10mm of the tip of the cutter on each run surely they'd be better making the end more robust than sharpening a length that is seldom used (a line I use with the missus there too fnar fnar)

2. longboat

longboat Screwfix Select

A decent quality cutter should last for about 4-5 complete mitres. It does depend on the type of worktop though, some are tougher than others.
    The length of the cutter needs to be longer than the thickness of the worktop as once you've gone through in small increments (10mm or so at a time) the final pass is done full depth using the guide bush pushed against the near side of the jig to remove 1mm or so.

3. fillyboy

fillyboy Screwfix Select

I use the cheap (£10) ones from Howdens and throw them away after each kitchen.

4. longboat

longboat Screwfix Select

5. chibster

chibster New Member

Thanks for the replies guys.

These are the ones I have been using found they're great when new but they went off very quickly used 3 cutters to do 4 mitres though they blunted on the tip. 38mm laminate worktops and breakfast bar.

6. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Tried the Freud one,( might find cheaper if you look around) I've found Trend cutters leave a lot to be desired, & Erbauer wouldn't touch them,got a few Freud,Wealden,Titman,Rutlands, & Jesada cutters (sadly no longer available here).

http://www.parkertools.co.uk/EngProduct/1098683/Freud+Straight+Fluted+TCT

http://www.rutlands.co.uk/pp+woodworking-power-tool-accessories-router-cutters+c07000

7. kitfit1

kitfit1 Screwfix Select

Like most kitchen fitters i spent years trying to find the best solution with regards to cutters for worktops. For the last 18 years i have been using this:

https://www.trend-uk.com/en/UK/product/RT_13X1_2TC/3/73/rotatip_straight_127mm_diameter.html

Although a single flute it makes no difference to the speed of cutting. The single most important thing about them though is how long the blade lasts. They last for months as long as all your routing is laminate worktops, if your routing Acrylic tops they will be blunt after one kitchen's worth of tops.
    They are double sided in the same way that planner blades are, so when they do get blunt you just turn them round. We fit a kitchen a week and i can safely say a pack of 10 blades last about 18 months. There is no way i would ever go back to any other type of cutter now.

8. kitfit1

kitfit1 Screwfix Select