RSJ Bearing Questions (with photos)

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Lewishudson90, Mar 9, 2017.

1. Lewishudson90

Lewishudson90 New Member

Good Afternoon,

First time poster long time lurker.

Got a few questions regarding my RSJ installation prior to building control sign off. (Will post photos once I figure out how)

- My Steel is bearing on the end 100 x 102 (width of steel) of the 440x215 padstone. which is bedded into a perpendicular nib wall to the steel. Structural eng says this is ok however i have concerns BCO will pull this.
    - The Steel is directly supporting the floor joists above. with the floor joists sat and screwed onto a timber wall plate that I installed which then sits directly on the steel. Do i need to fill in between the joists?
    - I have used 10mm of steel shims between the padstone and the steel. do i need to now grout these in?

Again this will be simpler to answer once i figure out how to upload pictures without it coming up with an error.

Thanks in advance, Lewis

2. Lewishudson90

Lewishudson90 New Member

3. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Typically a BCO will require 150 coverage on pad stone. Surprised the SE has built a small pier/column as return on the wall in the second picture as there isn't much lateral strength.

In the first picture is there a gap between the RSJ and padstone ?

Not sure why the original joists don't touch the top of the RSJ and why the new ones have been cut to half notch over the top. Seems an odd way to do it

upload_2017-3-9_17-38-56.png

4. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Usually 150 bearing.

Dont like the look of that single skin blockwork carrying that steel...as Sospan says.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2017
  5. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

In the second pic.
    I would imagine the BCO not being happy the pad-stone is only sitting on a thermal light block, also theres nothing to stop the steel potentially rolling off the pad-stone.

6. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

That thermal block under padstone should be replaced with engineering brick,& I would like more substantial support for rsj - like a proper pier, instead of a 100mm wall but then again I'm old school...:rolleyes:

Agree with Sospan, definitely not the correct way to install a rsj, totally baffled, as to why joists are done that.

Hope the BCO does pull it, totally unacceptable work.

7. Lewishudson90

Lewishudson90 New Member

Thanks for the replies so far chaps.

Forgot to mention that there is a 100x100 windpost tied to the nib wall and bolted to the steel to laterally tie in the wall to the steel. This will be sat on a padstone ontop of the existing wall foundation.

With regards to the joists, the kitchen joists are shallower joists than the dining room joists for some reason even though the span is the same. (Probably what they had left on site in the 80s) hence the reason why we have had to pack under them to meet the wall plate.

We installed the wall plate to the joists so that it levelled eveything out to sit on top of the steel. Is this wrong?

Checking the loadings on the structural calcs the eng has assumed the wall is of a 3.7kn strength and the calcs work out ok.

8. Lewishudson90

Lewishudson90 New Member

As mentioned the steel is packed between om steel shims between the padstone and rsj.

Forgot to mention there is a 100x100 steel windpost being installed to tie the wall into the steel laterally supportkng the nib wall

9. Lewishudson90

Lewishudson90 New Member

10. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Normally supporting post for an RSJ, has a foot plate and is bolted to a separate foundation pad

11. Lewishudson90

Lewishudson90 New Member

Hi, the engineers calcs state that the footplate is botled to a 300x150x100 padstone which i cemented to the original padstone.

12. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

TBH doesn't sound right

13. stevie22

stevie22 Screwfix Select

You have to accept what your SE says and if BC challenge you go back to him/her. Are those rear joists notched at the bottom? This is bad practice

A couple of general points:

- padstone size is determined by the load on the beam and the masonry strength under it. You can make them from engineering bricks but my preference is always for sections of PSC lintel. 150 bearing of steel onto wall is normal but nothing wrong with 100 if beam is transverse.

- on a steel post you generally bed onto the foundation concrete where possible (or a new pad) again size of baseplate determined by load and strength of foundation

14. Lewishudson90

Lewishudson90 New Member

See attached picture of the shallow joists serving the kitchen and the joists serving the dining room. I have packed the kitchen joists so to sit tight against the wall plate[​IMG][/url][/IMG]

[​IMG]

15. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

This isn't good at all. Think you need a break and get someone independent to check what has been done. SE's aren't fool proof and have dismissed more than before

upload_2017-3-10_12-33-3.png

16. ginger tuffs

ginger tuffs Screwfix Select

building control will make you take it down not safe rsj on thermalite blocks timber cut so much it only looks like 50 x 50 left