Rsj to wind post!

Discussion in 'Engineers' Talk' started by Jayeno, Aug 22, 2016.

1. Jayeno

Jayeno New Member

hi I was wondering if someone could help me!! Please!! My se is ignoring my phone calls, I need to know wether the rsj in the attached pick sits on top of steel wind post or if it is fixed to the side of it please see attachment.

Attached Files:

2. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

I can see the confusion between the first two pictures. One shows on top and one shows in between.

However, one may be a "rotation" of the other. There may be a clue on the headings on the drawings ?

3. Jayeno

Jayeno New Member

4. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

You would think so considering the bolt spec is only 8.8, which isn't a partially strong grade.

5. Jayeno

Jayeno New Member

I have just spoken to steel fabrication guy and he's adamant it sits on the side bolted with 4 bolts?! I just hope my house does not collapse thank you for your reply

6. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

The wind post is there to stop a wall bending under force coming from 90 degrees to it. So it shouldn't be there to provide support for loading coming from above. However, they are normally fixed to the structure top and bottom.

Maybe time to get a new SE, I not the first time an SE has been sacked - some are real prima donnas

7. Jayeno

Jayeno New Member

Thank you guys for your help, I was right theoreticians in the specs did show it sitting in top of the wind post and not the side!! The fabricator was looking at the building regs details! I got my SE to call him!!