Running Electricity to an Outbuilding.

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Gareth Sewell, Oct 22, 2014.

1. Gareth Sewell

Gareth Sewell New Member

Hi,

I am thinking about getting an external light in my yard and running power to my outbuilding in the yard. Does this need to come straight from your consumer unit, or can you spur off something close to the desired area of supply?

Where does the cable need to be ran when it goes outside?

Thanks,

Gareth.

2. Mick Spencer

Mick Spencer New Member

Ideally straight from the Consumer Unit where it can be safely isolated to a small Consumer unit in the outbuilding where you can then run your supplies and lights, make sure your supply cable is adequate enough for the job

3. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Hmmm all I've got to do then when running exterior power is to ''honk orffff the db''

4. Mick Spencer

Mick Spencer New Member

Don't quite get your reply JP, without a doubt the best way to take an external supply source outside is ideally from a spare fuse way in the property, if one os available, running out either underground preferably with SWA cable or overhead via catenary, to the outbuilding where it must be terminated in a suitable enclosure, ie small RCD protected Consumer unit.

5. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

Mick you have to get to know JP he makes light hearted comments sometimes. :) Agree with your post.