Rust on the tools

Discussion in 'Tool Talk' started by Theleman, Jul 29, 2016.

1. Theleman

Theleman Active Member

Hi All

I have not plastered for a while. Left the trowels in the shed, and they are covered in thick rust.
    What is the best option here please? They were cheap tools, so should they be thrown out in the bin, and go for the new tools? Or are there ways to rescue them by giving some treatment with the elbow grease?

TIA 스크린샷 2016-07-29 12.53.52.png

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

:(:(

Dosen't matter if the tool is cheap, it should be still looked after.

Use a fine steel wool with a light oil, using a thin engine oil here.You might need wet & dry, not too course to start with, then work with a finer grade, again with oil,on a flat surface to clean the face of the blades first..

I always wipe my trowels over with a oily rage or spray with WD40 if they are not being used for a while.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2016
  3. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

You might need to start with a coarser steel wool, & work up to a finer grade, depends how bad the rusting is.

4. TheMorg

TheMorg Active Member

I stick a wirebrush attachment onto the drill every few months, put it in a vice, then cable tie the trigger on. I clean all my tools this way (although they are rarely as rusty like yours), works a treat.Wipe with wd40, or similar, and a rag.

5. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Buy a bench grinder, safer.:)

6. TheMorg

TheMorg Active Member

I do have one, but the brush in the drill really is superb for all round 'access'.

Jimbbob likes this.
  7. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Use wire brush wheels, flexi shaft & spindle extensions with my bench grinder.

8. Theleman

Theleman Active Member

I think my trowels were wet when stored in the shed. I should have dried, and cover with oil or WD40, but I was too lazy, and forgot about them.

Thank you for the rust removing and storage tips, I will try to clean, and reuse them. I was worrying about leaving rusty marks on the plaster when using these tools, or maybe the steel of the trowels might have been damaged, and they may crumble, but maybe it is not the case?

9. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

At least the gloves look ok :)

10. Theleman

Theleman Active Member

They are rust free :)

11. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Start with a good scrub with fairy liquid and hot water. Look a lot better already.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

12. Theleman

Theleman Active Member

Wow scrub with Fairy liquid and hot water can kill the rusts off? Never knew or heard that before, but will give a go. Thanks.

13. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

14. Mr. Handyandy

It won't kill the rust off, it will clean them of the surface dusty rust, then you will see the real damage(if any) underneath.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

15. malkie129

malkie129 Screwfix Select

Yeah. The mind boggles don't it ? :(

16. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

17. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

:confused::confused::confused:

It was water that made them rusty....

Start with wire wool & oil.:)

18. Theleman

Theleman Active Member

When I replied, I was joking :) Oil and wire wool sounds a lot more practical. Glad to know these cheap tools don't need to be binned just because they are rusty.

19. Mr. Handyandy

Why do you lot have to make things so difficult.

Wash them off with soapy water first, you will have an idea what is left to do.

Blimey.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

20. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Time to stop digging Andy. :):)