s plan heating and also underfloor heating

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Gman34, Apr 23, 2014.

1. Gman34

Gman34 Member

Im 1st fixing and need to get the cables in for the heating . the s plan is easy - three core from airing cupboard to roomstat , 2 three cores from airing cupboard to boiler and a fcu 3 amp supply to the airing cupboard.
    Im not 100% sure what the plumber is putting in for the under floor heating ......
    im guessing where the manifold is ..... a supply from the airing cupboard (load side of the fcu?) then im im guessing if wired room stats are used then cables to each of them (been told wise to run 2 x twins to each )
    Then would i need to run another cable back to the boiler or airing cupboard for the pump .
    please help me clarify

2. eric the fish

eric the fish Member

Don't forget that each underfloor zone will have "stat", that also may have a temperature sensor in the floor, so some method of installing the sensor will be required if fixed wiring is plastered in. I normally run a 20mm plastic flex conduit down from the stat position to the floor level. (c/w draw string).
    The pump in normally part of the manifold, but a cable from the manifold/valve control box to the boiler will be needed to control the motorized valve feeding the u/f system
    Hope this is of some help

3. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

If its an 'S' plan the plumber will be using one or more valves in the pipework, each with a 5-core flex that also needs to be wired in to the wiring centre. I assume from your description you are using a wiring centre? The underfloor heating is just an extension of the CH if its a wet system and he will have valves on the manifold controlling that. Don't get too carried away with wires to the roomstats. If they are digital stats they won't require a neutral wire, just supply and switched live, so a twin will be fine.

4. Lectrician

Lectrician Screwfix Select

Some UFH stats use cat5e, so check before first fix!

The UFH controller/wiring Centre is fitted by the manifold, to allow actuator leads to connect directly. This controller has volt free contacts to fire a boiler. You use these not to fire a boiler, but to open the extra two port zone valve. This zone valve then fires the boiler. Usually, two twins from your UFH controller to the cent heat controller.