Safety/Dust Mask Design HELP

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Lui Zatrak, Feb 18, 2015.

1. Lui Zatrak

Lui Zatrak New Member

Hello everyone,

My name is Lui Zatrak and I am a 3rd year student at Teesside University studying product design. I am currently working on my final project which is going to be a safety/dust mask.

I was wondering if I could get any information on what kind of problems you come across, what your safety procedures are and where and when you would use a dust mask. Any relevant information is hugely appreciated.

I am currently thinking about tackling the problem of communication within a workplace. One of my ideas is having a transparent front piece on the mask so the people you talk to can see your lips and therefore make out what you are saying more easily. Another idea is when you are working within a team, on a construction site for example, there would be a bluetooth earpiece and microphone built into the mask, to enable clear and effective communication around the whole site.

I am wondering whether these ideas would be beneficial in any way.

Any feedback would be hugely appreciated.

Thank You

2. Welshdragon1

Welshdragon1 Active Member

Depending on the job most of the time, trades people would most likely be wearing ear defenders / plugs .

For the clear mouth piece idea, I feel that you would have to make the mask with disposable filters on the sides.

In the industry there are many types of dust Asbestos being a deadly lethal one check out H&SE website http://www.hse.gov.uk/search/search-results.htm?q=asbestos#gsc.tab=0&gsc.q=asbestos&gsc.page=1 then search for cement / plaster lead paint for starters

I will leave others to mention other kinds of dust they face on the job

3. teabreak

teabreak Screwfix Select

One problem for the likes of me is that face masks do not cope well with beards, if you can solve that problem it would be a real improvement!;)

Welshdragon1 likes this.
  4. Welshdragon1

Perhaps offer a custom made to fit option ??

5. teabreak

teabreak Screwfix Select

Or may be the low tech answer, some kind if thin metal diaphragm that will vibrate like the microphone in an old style telephone great for Darth Vader impressions around the building site!

6. Welshdragon1

aren't beards a filtration system, in their own right :p

Well, they seem to collect every particle that's thrown at them :rolleyes:;):D:D

7. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

Teabreak, do you eat your lunch like this.

90_020110_o.jpg

teabreak and Welshdragon1 like this.
  8. barnjules

barnjules Member

The biggest problem i get with dust masks is i find it almost impossible to get a good seal over my nose,so when i breathe out it steams my specs up,espeshly when I've worked up a bit of a sweat:confused:..which kinda blows the health and safety thing,as i can't see what I'm doing! I've tried a bit of blu tac under the nose bit,or even gaffer tape over it:p but it doesn't last long,and looks a tad..erm..silly:oops:..soo,any way of improving the nose area would be a huge improvement for me. I'm sure I'm not alone with this problem??

Lui Zatrak likes this.
  9. teabreak

teabreak Screwfix Select

10. Lui Zatrak

Lui Zatrak New Member

Thank you, some great insight.

Welshdragon yeah the filters are very important, especially the fact that they are changeable and so you don't have to throw the whole mask out so often. But at the front there is the single valve between the 2 main valves, which lets you breath out and not back in, surprisingly simple system. I will be looking into having that part alone a transparent material. The other valves area could be any material really. I feel like with this type of mask, there is the possibility to explore extending the shape along the jaw line closer to the ears, to gain more room for a mic and earpiece.

Teabreak, I can imagine the beard struggle :D . Depends on the length of the beard I suppose. Would you say there is not much room for air in the mask if you do have a slightly longer beard?

Barnjules, yes I believe the designers must think if they make the seal out of silicon, it will fit all faces, which obviously isn't true. Only the big full face masks have a powered respirator which blows fresh air into the mask to prevent condensation. These are expensive and can be inconvenient for smaller jobs I believe? Perhaps just simply a modular part, with the nose seal part being changeable and adaptable to the individual user?

Thank you guys

11. teabreak

teabreak Screwfix Select

In my case it's only the beard about 15mm long not quite ZZ Top volume! The main trouble is being quite springy only the rubber ones that can be pulled tight really clamp to the face, the cheap fabric ones with knicker elastic are too feeble to pull in for a good fit.
    And yes the sealing around the nose is always a problem either a more springy clip than the feeble metal strips or maybe a self adhesive backing that could be reused say 5 or ten times to allow for removal during the day between uses might be a solution.
    Anyway good luck with your project.:)

Lui Zatrak likes this.
  12. barnjules

barnjules Member

Good idea!

13. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

Maybe incorporate a strip like this.

210pcs-lot-100-New-Airplus-Nasal-Strips-for-Running-and-Sporting-Breath-Well-font-b-Sleep.jpg

That will offer both a seal, being stuck to the nose and open up the nasal passage for better breathing.

14. oops

oops Member

I agree with barn jules. I am nothing more than an enthusiastic amateur, but I find that I use eye & ear protection but keep ditching my mask due to it steaming up my safety glasses. I do a little bit of joinery, and when leaning over a task with a router etc the steaming up of my glasses becomes a real issue.

15. ashtreefarm

ashtreefarm New Member

Check these out, I considered this problem a few years ago, on the same principle as disposable ear plugs.
    Google disposable nose filters http://www.breathepurenap.com/ http://www.nosefilters.com/
    I think with the correct filter it could be a good option.
    You've just got to remember to keep your mouth shut after you've finished talking.
    I envisage they would be much more comfortable to wear and lots of other benefits too.
    Good look with your work.

16. barnjules

barnjules Member

Ashtreefarm...they wud make you look a bit daft,but who cares?:D
    I love the way they are so minimal compared to a mask. You cud carry a pack in yer pocket. I wud have to try them tho,because when i wear a conventional dust mask,the resistence usually makes me want to breath through my mouth. That said,a lot of potential benefits...but why have i never seen anyone using them??

17. teabreak

teabreak Screwfix Select

Or you could put two pencils up your nose underpants on your head and repeat Wibble Wibble until someone else does the job.
    Mind you it didn't work for Blackadder, but worth a try anyway!:D:D

18. barnjules

barnjules Member

Teabreak..now that's a cunning plan:D:D