Salt in my Crack!

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Uplank, Feb 25, 2017.

1. Uplank

Uplank New Member

Hi Guys,

Any advice appreciated

I have a chimney stack/fire place which has been filled in and it did have a radiator on it which I have now moved elsewhere. Unfortunately it has a crack in the plaster (been like it since i moved in three years ago) which is quite deep and there is salt coming through. There is also damp around the bottom but there is only an issue at the bottom of the stack, there is no mould or cracks above where the fireplace used to be.

What would be the best solution/method to resolve this problem please?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

Get some chips to go with the salt maybe? :p

3. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Damp probably or has the radiator pipework is leaking. Plaster needs to be taken off to see what's going on.

4. gadget man

gadget man Screwfix Select

Salt in your crack eh?. don't put vinegar on then or you'll take off like a bat outa hell!:D

5. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Have you checked the vent in the fireplace. It is not uncommon for someone to stick a vent on the wall - the leads to nowhere :rolleyes:

6. fillyboy

fillyboy Screwfix Select

Start at the top and work down, cracked flaunching, broken pot, uncovered pots with no fire down below to burn off moisture.