Sand or Gravel for back fill around drain ?

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by gunster, Jul 2, 2016.

1. gunster

gunster Member

Hello.
    The other day I went to replace the concrete around the drain. It has been cracked for some time. I chiseled at the old stuff and it broke away without any effort. It was then I could see that the main body of the grid (I think it's called the gully) was surrounded with black stagnant water about 2 layers of bricks high (I have added a link to a photo)
    https://s32.postimg.org/5nk0ny3l1/grid.jpg
    I Sponged all the water out and now there is a large void around the body of the grid. I am not sure yet if this water is a result of water getting in through the old concrete or possibly a leak in the clay pipe. I have noticed water slowly seeping back into the void - although this could be from the water logged soil .
    What would be best for filling this void and stop the water pooling? Sand or gravel? It looks as if there had been sand in there in the past. The house was built 50 years ago.

Thanks in advance

2. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

There a good chance there may be a crack in the pot.

Spigot end may have broken.

Is this for waste water or rain water?

If waster were pipes(s) leading straight into the actual hopper?

3. gunster

gunster Member

Thanks for your reply.
    This is for waste water. Kitchen and bathroom drain into it

4. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

5. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

I would be tempted to dig out and replace with a new gully.

The waste pipes should enter through a grid over the gully and finish about 1" inside.

6. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Replaced one a few years back, the bottom of the gully had a large hole in it, I would suspect someone had tried to clear a blocked and banged a pipe in it.

Must of been like that for a very long time, and the house as result suffered badly.

Fitted a bottle gully with a larger rectangular hopper, built a surround around it.

7. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Easier to clean plastic gullys & roddable if need be..

TS do a square top gully, ref 39842.

8. gunster

gunster Member

Thanks for the replies.
    I did sponge all the water out of the gully and I could not see any hole at the base - it looked ok

9. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Would rec to monitor it before filling back in, will have to cover the opening so rain doesn't get down. Let the ground dry out further and run the bath the check if all is OK.

10. gunster

gunster Member

If this is a leak problem would getting a new gully replaced be a costly job ? it would mean breaking through about 2 inches of concrete path to get at it.

11. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

You would only have to remove about 2ft x 2ft around the gulley.

This is what one looks like:

upload_2016-7-2_16-55-21.png

Attached Files:

12. gunster

gunster Member

Thanks for the photo.
    The damage, if any, could be on that part at the back that sweeps up to meet the pipe.
    If I wanted to get someone to do the job would I contact a general domestic plumber do they do this type of work or would I be looking for a drainage company ? Any indication of the types of quotes I should expect.

13. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Material would cost no more than £100, this would include everything.

Labour could be £250-350

14. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

You could try Dyno rod for a quote.

15. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

This is another picture I had of an old project.

Damage to clay was at collar point.

upload_2016-7-2_18-9-38.png

16. gunster

gunster Member

Thanks, again.
    It's not my house it's my mother's - so just wanted to give her a rough idea of possible cost. I will also ponder whether it is a DIY possibility..do some reading around and have a more detailed look at the area around where the gully is situated.
    Many thanks.

17. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

If your confident with using a grinder to cut old clay pipe square, then you could do it yourself.

18. gunster

gunster Member

An update from my last post:
    Well, I had a closer look at the area around the gully. It looked as if it was leaking low down where the neck enters the branch connection. The collar of the branch was not broken but it looked like what ever was sealing the gully into the branch (it looked like bitumen) was partly missing and I could see water slowly coming out. So I decided to break the concrete away. It soon became obvious that there was no way I was going to get the gully detached from the branch to try a reseal as there was a large dump of concrete right over the join.
    https://s32.postimg.org/m9vp881vp/concrete.jpg
    Also the collar on the bend connecting to the soil pipe broke away, it probably cracked when breaking the concrete - I have managed to fix a temp seal to it. Anyway I have now exposed the pipe back to the first length of straight clay pipe.
    https://s31.postimg.org/fsahzz4kb/trench.jpg
    I noticed a crack on top of the collar on this pipe .
    So, I will now replace everything up to this first pipe, I will cut the collar off and use a rubber connector to connect the clay to the 110 mm plastic. I have a 115 mm angle grinder - will this be big enough to cut the collar off the clay pipe? If so, what would be the best type of cutting disc to use?
    I'm thinking of buying all the bits from
    http://www.drainagepipe.co.uk/
    their prices look very good - anyone had any dealings with them?

19. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

I would look at getting a rectangular bottle gully to replace the trap and build a surround around it.

The rainwater also needs a trap as is connected to the waste, could use a P trap.

Need to use a diamond blade to cut the clay pipe.

20. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Shopping list...

[​IMG]