Sandwich Wall

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Moldy1, Apr 21, 2017.

1. Moldy1

Moldy1 New Member

I have recently moved into a flat and strangely (for me anyway) the internal walls are constructed with a sandwich of three layers of plasterboard glued together.
    I am refurbing the kitchen and want to fit some 720 x 600 wall units. The original wall units have pulled the plugs out of the wall and are hanging off.
    I don't want the same thing to happen to my new units so would appreciate some advice on the best way of fixing them.
    FYI - behind the kitchen wall is a fully tiled bathroom.

2. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

Are you saying that there are just 3 layers of plasterboard and nothing else? Or is there a stud wall there?

If it id just plasterboard, you have a problem! And the answer may be to build a studwall in front of the plasterboard using 2"x2" (47/50mm) timber and then facing that Put noggins where the cabinet fixings will be and you can screw straight in.

3. Moldy1

Moldy1 New Member

Thanks for your reply Pollowick.

In cutting out for a back box yesterday I hit a stud. The wall seems to be built like a stud wall with the cavity filled with 15mm plasterboard. Obviously the 'stud' itself is only 15mm thick. I poked a bradawl into it and would say its not wood but some kind of composite material ??.

Also the screws from the original wall units are longer than the thickness of the wall suggesting they are fixed on the bathroom side in some way- under the tiles.

I don't want to build the wall out because the kitchen is very small as it is. Do you think its feasible to cut horizontally into the wall at the height of the new units and glue noggins to the third plaster board and studs - would this hold the cupboards up ok?

If its any help I think the block of flats was built by MacLean in the mid eighties.

4. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

I don't really know what to suggest. I have some ideas, but they may not be feasible or sufficiently sound for your situation and don't want to give potentially bad advice or suggestions. I do think you are oing to need to build out just a little to provide a solid structure.

5. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Any photos please?

6. It is called a laminate partition.There is a piece of 2x1 fixed to the wall,ceiling and floor.
    An 8x4 board is then nailed to the 2x1.Inch thick 2' boards are then fixed with adhesive to the inside of the 8x4's staggered over the joints.
    8x4 boards are then fixed with adhesive to the other side and nailed to the 2x1,the door frames are factory made and give strength to the partition.
    The electrical back boxes are cut out of the inch thick board and a slot is cut for the metal conduit drop,the channel is then filled with adhesive to secure them.

7. Moldy1

Moldy1 New Member

Thanks Deleted member 11267 for that very helpful explanation. I won't send photos Jord86 because I have now filled any gaps showing the wall construction.
    The original wall units were fixed through the wall using a sort of flat dome shaped plug on the bathroom side and the screws on the kitchen side went right through the wall and into these plug things. No I haven't knocked tiles off the bathroom wall - I found that the last two fixings happened to be in the airing cupboard behind the tank and not the bathroom.
    My new plan is to find the 2x1's and also use the existing dome plug things (where sound) to fix battens to the wall, cut the new wall units (in the service gap) and fix them to the battens. Pollowick - does that sound like the sort of thing you were considering?
    Any further advice or suggestions gratefully received.

8. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

What you suggest is more or less the best you can do in your situation, I would use 4x1 as noggins between the 2x1 battens, screwed into the batten, and covered in polyurethane glue both sides to glue the partition to the noggin for added strength, then screw the plasterboard to the noggin to compress everything as tightly as you can. Give it a day then hang your wall units. And let us know if they stay up. :)

9. If your wall has been constructed using the same system that I mentioned, the next 2x1 after the one on the wall will be at the side of the door frame.

10. Moldy1

Moldy1 New Member

Thanks for the advice. I've been concentrating on the electrickery this week before the kitchen arrives. I'll let you know how I get on.