sash repair

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by pullman4, Jul 27, 2008.

1. pullman4

pullman4 New Member

got bad rot in some v old sashes, may need to replace cills in 2, is there a company that will stock hard wood cills off the shelf standard 75 x150?? they are oak not stone.
    some rot in the lower exterior pully lining section. thinking of scarfing in a section by removing the outer lining (to be replaced also) and working from there. not an easy job though. any thoughts?

2. supachip

supachip New Member

I dont know were your based but a few years ago i used a timber merchant in wimbledom . Sold every section off the shelf to construct a box sash complete. MERTON TIMBER.

3. dunc

dunc New Member

most sashes will only rot in the lower 18 inches or so. the rest of the sash wil go on working fine for many more decades. they usaully just need cleaning and painting to stay in good condition.

You can splice in box sections and sills and all windows parts. Any decent timber yard will stock all the sash materials you need.

4. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Do you have contacts in this company akademija or do you just like replying to 7 year old posts?

5. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

Original Sash Repair are a terrible company. I had them round and the bloke spent all his time posting spam on forums.

6. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

If you are in the S.E. and require hardwood cills made Hadley Wood Joinery will make one to your exact measurements for around £50. Nothing to do with me but a good company to deal with for bespoke windows, doors and staircases.

7. mr moose

mr moose Screwfix Select

I think a lot of the standard hardwoods bought in timber merchants are not anymore rot proof than Pine, also a lot of timber merchants can't guarantee they have come from managed forests. As far as cills are concerned it's how they are fitted and protected which is the important thing.

Gatt likes this.
  8. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Anyone know much about or has used Accoya wood?

supposed to be good and FSC certified. One of my local sash joiners now use this wood as is dimensionally more stable then other woods all year round.

9. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

The joinery shop I use, as above, uses Douglas Fir.

10. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

I am having a door made up and the joiners used sapele for the frame and door.

They are now using Accoya wood for the panel moldings as they say it is more stable.

I was at the workshop the other day and noticed what looked like MDF being used in the 2 bottom panels on a 4XG door.

The material being used in the panel is actually Medite Tricoya. They left a small piece outside and it did not bubble up like MDF.

11. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Check this out

Chippie will like this as hes using a festool

12. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Not sure about just using a sheet of anything as a door without a frame and there were a few other slightly dodgy things in the video but it looks interesting.

13. mr moose

mr moose Screwfix Select

That stuff looks really interesting Jitender, I wonder how long it stands up to moisture long term i.e 10 years +? Also wonder what the toxicity of the dust is like ?

Jitender likes this.
  14. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Medite Tricoya brilliant board, got a sample here, apparantly it has 50 years plus exterior life.
    It contains no formaldehyde, so the dust isn't so harmful, still no excuse not to wear a mask when cutting, machining it.

http://www.meditetricoya.com/images...loads/MediteTricoyaEnglishBrochure_V7_web.pdf

http://www.meditetricoya.com/

15. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

The 50 year life must be extrapolated, they can't have been testing it that long.