screw sizes any help please

Discussion in 'Screwfix' started by wildcat2514, May 22, 2015.

1. wildcat2514

wildcat2514 New Member

Hi all,
    Looking to buy some screws,hoping you may be able to help me with some sizes.

found some on the screwfix website which says 6ga x 1" & 8ga x 5/8 does the (6ga & 8ga) represent the head size,would the bigger the (ga) be the bigger head size,as im ok with normal screw sizes like (3.5 & 4.5 etc)

hope you can help me understand these sizes or is it just common sense.

heres a link to the ones ive found

http://www.screwfix.com/p/quicksilver-woodscrews-double-countersunk-6ga-x-1-pk200/15680

thanks all any help would be a help

thanks andy

2. malkie129

malkie129 Screwfix Select

OMG,is this a wind-up? Apologies if it ain't. I'm an old * ,but even I work in Metric, but can still relate to Imperial. 6 x 1 inch is roughly 6x25mm screws. :rolleyes:

Edited due to unsuitable language

Last edited by a moderator: May 22, 2015
  3. malkie129

malkie129 Screwfix Select

correction....3mm x 25. :(

4. Big Dunk

Big Dunk Active Member

Number 4 screws are 3mm
    Number 6 screws are 3.5mm
    Number 8 screws are 4mm
    Number 10 screws are 5mm
    Number 12 screws are 5.5mm
    And number 14 screws are 6mm

So a 3x25mm screw = 4 ga x 1 inch

5. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Don't forget 4.5mm is equivalent to a Number 9 wood screw.

6. big all

big all Screwfix Select

i have a slightly different take i have never seen a no9 screw lol
    i start the same at the bottom end
    no4=3mm
    no6=3.5mm
    no7-4mm
    no8=4.5mm
    10=5mm
    12=6mm
    as far as i know there is no no9 screw or 5.5mm screw but could be wrong lol
    so my conversion is just giving each screw size a partner size

7. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

8. diamedes

diamedes New Member

I think everyone bar the original person who posted this up
    didn't bother to read the question properly, which was...
    "does the (6ga & 8ga) represent the head size,would the bigger the (ga) be the bigger head size"

The posts that follow the initial question have done nothing more than 'hijack' the thread...
    and go on about the THREAD size ! So the question hasn't actually been answered.

I'm stuck with a similar problem in that I need pan headed 8x25mm 'philips' screws as all of the
    original screw were lost/misplaced by the previous owner, BUT...they must not be more than
    5mm dia across the head as they fit inside a thin walled fitting that cannot be opened up for a
    larger headed screw. So far, every 8x25mm screw I've come across has had either an 8mm or
    a 10mm dia head to them !

9. TheRealAdrian

TheRealAdrian New Member

Absolutely agree. I need 6x15 or 7x15 with the largest diameter pan head I can get. But head diameter is not specified anywhere :-(

10. robertpstubbs

robertpstubbs Screwfix Select

Better to start a new thread rather than reopen a 2015 one.

11. TheRealAdrian

TheRealAdrian New Member

I didn’t want to start a new thread because I was just commenting that the same problem still exists. The specification for screws does not include the head diameter.

12. Davie

Davie Active Member

Just change to metric - much simpler. But the head size is unlikely to be specified. The head size is usually dictated by the purpose of the screw; such as 'dry-wall screws' or chipboard screws.