Screwfix censoring negative reviews of their own brand

Discussion in 'Tool Talk' started by Mac-Man, Apr 26, 2013.

1. Mac-Man

Mac-Man New Member

It amazes me how a company can have a website with features such as reviews, but censors reviews by clients if it mentions a product brand that is owned by Screwfix what is the point of this process if you only post reviews that are favourable to you?. I wrote a negative review on a Erbauer ERB238MSW 255mm Sliding Mitre Saw which in short terms, snapped its bolt that holds the blade and the lock collar fairly much spun away hitting me in the face. The blade then came off and basically shredded the guide and a few other parts until the blade eventually stopped spinning. I am not saying that it is not possible to happen to another brand but in 25yrs of working with both good and cheap brands i have never had this happen before. Anyway my point is that this review i posted was for "Some convenient reason" censored and blocked from making it onto the Screwfix website.

Is that because Srewfix owns Erbauer ?  because i wrote one review in the past about a Bocsh Jigsaw which was similar to this review  (following the rules and not mentioning other companies or prices etc. ) and that review was posted just fine.

I smell a rat somewhere!

Now for the helpful bit ?. if you own a Erbauer ERB238MSW 255mm Sliding Mitre Saw, i would urgently suggest you replace the Cap screw that holds the blade as this is a dangerous weak point on this tool, get the following from a decent engineering company (use google, as i don't want this post blocked/moderated if i mention other company's names )

Original part:
    M8, 25mm, reverse thread / left-hand thread, 8.8 Grade tensile cap bolt (i doubt that very much)

Suggested replacement part:
    M8, 25mm, reverse thread / left-hand thread, 12.9 Grade tensile cap bolt ( this may be tough to find, but is worth saving your life )

What really shocks me is that the above information should have been made available by Screwfix to their buyers ..... clearly profits mean more than peoples safety "These Days

Attached Files:

• Bolt.jpg
      Bolt.jpg
      File size:
      229 KB
      Views:
    • Cap.jpg
      Cap.jpg
      File size:
      326.2 KB
      Views:
  2. teabreak

teabreak Screwfix Select

You would think that even if the review was censored because it broke some rule, somebody would contact the poster to investigate in case a recall was required.

teabreak

3. Mac-Man

Mac-Man New Member

I agree, "You would think" ..... but your nickname gave me a better idea though..... time to put the kettle on! :)

4. screwfix.peter

screwfix.peter Administrator Staff Member

HI Mac-Man

I am sorry to learn of the problems with the Mitre Saw.

All reviews are moderated externally, to ensure independance. These are not published by our third party moderators if the content is deemed unsuitable, not just because its a negitive review.

To help resolve the problem you have had with this product, I recommend to email our Customer Resolution Team at online@screwfix.com

Regards

Peter

5. Mac-Man

Mac-Man New Member

Hi Peter,

Thanks for shedding some light on the workings of the "Review" system on the Screwfix website, i will say that i have been in contact with Customer care and because the my unit was out of warranty by 20 days when this happened they could not help. Let me just make clear the "Out of warranty" is not what is annoying me the fact that i have in the meantime learnt that another user of this model saw has also posted the nut snapping off and "Screwfix" casual approach to this was "Well based on the "Current Reviews" only 5% is negative so there is nothing they can do!

My answer to that is ******, how would you, your board members, company CEO's, or management feel if they, or one of their family members were one of the "5%" operating this saw when the nut snapped, malfunctioned and injured one of them.

My disgust lays with Screwfix "Casual mentality" of a potentially dangerous situation waiting to happen, i just consider myself lucky but i could easily have been worse off. I don't expect anything in terms of "money" from Screwfix as i agree "the unit was out of warranty" but what i do expect from them is to take the safety of their buyers more seriously.

Or maybe we should wait till that saw takes someones head off, only then this posting might make headlines and then the industry will be in "uproar"! like they usually are!

6. FatHands

FatHands Well-Known Member

hi mac-man,
    Im glad you have written in to the customer services about this as i am sure they will investigate. It may be that there were a faulty batch of bolts, incorrect grading etc and issue a recall, or certainly review whats out there at the moment. Good shout on letting the forum know thou so others with the same tool can check theirs over.

7. teabreak

teabreak Screwfix Select

I do think companies miss a trick, a little bit of flexibility would go a long way with customers.

More years ago than I care to remember we bought a Chef mixer made by the well known company, 5 days out of the 1 year guarantee it went wrong. My wife only used it for large cakes etc so I doubt it had been used more than a couple of dozen times.

The company just was not interested, after finally getting to some sort of manger they offered to replace the part but charge us the labour.   I told them where to put their offer! 

We got the whole repair done for less than the charge they wanted to make at a local electrical store and it?s been fine since (so it?s not my wife?s heavy pastry if that?s what you are thinking).

My point is I have never bought any products made by that company again, so what did they gain by mean and lazy customer service?

8. FatHands

FatHands Well-Known Member

totally agree teabreak. Some are more foregiving than others in fairness, but its just a shame the amount of hassle you need to go to be listened too

9. michael Mccarthy

michael Mccarthy New Member

I had exactly the same happen to me this morning, the erbauer 255 mitre saw allen bolt holding the blade to the motor shaft suddenly sheared, I was cutting an 18mm soft pine moulding so no pressure on the blade. The blade just suddenly went berserk after the second cut, the bolt head had sheared and the blade and just flew around. Lucky no injuries!. Like Mac Man my machine was 5 weeks out of warranty and screwfix offered no help and no assistance in a repair.
    This is obviously a design/production fault and screwfix obviously know about it but so far deny it is a fault, are they waiting for an injury?

10. screwfix.peter

screwfix.peter Administrator Staff Member

Hi @michael Mccarthy

Welcome to the Screwfix Community.

I am sorry to learn of the problem with the product you have purchased. Please contact our customer resolution team at online@screwfix.com with full details so this can be investigated fully.

Regards

Peter

11. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Something as serious at this problem should not be swept under the mat, maybe contact BBC watchdog programme would be the way to go to get the problem out there before something deadly serious occurs! This is a frightening flaw and should be investigated immediately.

12. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Only a matter of time before someone is seriously hurt, or worse with this problem.

Funny thing is, I have always replaced the blade retaining bolt on my Bosch/ Makita circular saws, & mitre saw after 2 years use with a new one, as they under go a lot of stress being tighten every time you change blades, but they shouldn't fail.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2015
  13. michael Mccarthy

michael Mccarthy New Member

I've been in touch with the customer resolution dept. they said 'computer says NO.' Screwfix are apparently unconcerned that one of their products has a serious possibly life threatening fault, surely it wold be cheaper for them to do a recall or simply warn owners of the problem with said product. This is no minor concern, a 254mm saw blade spinning at 4500rpm flying about unfettered should be a major concern to any responsible supplier.

Nishing and gpierce like this.
  14. Nishing

Nishing Member

Holy cow im scared to ever use a mitre saw again

15. CraigMcK

CraigMcK Screwfix Select

Please have a read at the sale of goods act. You are covered under that for up to 6 years. You do need to get confirmation of a design or manufacturing flaw, but after it happening twice that should not be a problem!

All too often companies shrug off their responsibilities because of lack of knowledge of the public.

16. big all

big all Screwfix Select

yes extremely dangerous and would not wish it on anybody and yes there's a lot off energy stored
    the only constellation is if your cutting at the time the stored energy will hopefully dissipate almost instantly as the blade is fairly captive it will be possibly very noisy but stop safely without any harm to the user

17. Gatt

Gatt Active Member

Product should be recalled, till they get the problem sorted.
    It's hard enough, trying to make a living, without, worrying, that your next cut, could be your last.

FatHands likes this.
  18. Rob_bv

Rob_bv Active Member

For anyone who is interested - the Erbauer 255 and the JCB 255 sold at B&Q are identical bar the paint job (as are many of the other tools); the bolt on my JCB saw also went. I found that DeWalt sell replacement bolts (you can usually find them on ebay or Amazon) that are a perfect fit.

19. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

Strange title for the thread though, as this months review winner (garageflower) didn't have anything good to say about their tile adhesive. ;);););)

20. plumber-boy

plumber-boy Well-Known Member

The reviews at screwfix are a big con.

Third party moderators means nothing.o_O