Sealing & Painting Dry Dash

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by Gareth Sewell, May 5, 2015.

1. Gareth Sewell

Gareth Sewell New Member

Hi,

I am planning on re-invigourating the front of my property as it is old dry dash and looks unpleasant.

Do I seal it prior to painting it? What is the best sealant and external masonry pain to use?

Thanks,

Gareth.

2. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Is it dusty, crumbling etc?

3. Gareth Sewell

Gareth Sewell New Member

Hi,

No. It is in very good condition, in-fact the front has previously been painted but never sealed. The rear has had neither done to it, but the full lot will be getting done...properly.

Regards,

Gareth.

4. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

If the surface to be painted is sound and as you say "very good condition" stabilizing sealer would not be required, you could thin the first coat of masonry paint by 15% followed by a full coat when dry.

5. Gareth Sewell

Gareth Sewell New Member

Hi,

Really- well that saved me a job.

What are the better brands of masonry paint to use?

Regards,

Gareth.

6. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Dulux Weathershield Trade, rated best by test, most good masonry paints carry the BBA approval for lasting 15 years, but in reality would need a fresh coat of paint before then to look at it's best after 7-8 years. Give the walls a good brush down with a stiff bristle brush prior to painting.

7. Gareth Sewell

Gareth Sewell New Member

Hi,

Thanks you for your advise. I will get cracking!

Regards,

Gareth.