Sealing slate worktop

Discussion in 'Kitchen Fitters' Talk' started by Pauljen, Sep 17, 2017.

1. Pauljen

Pauljen New Member

We have an old bar top to use as a kitchen worktop but are seeing so much conflicting advice re sealing it. At the moment it is dark grey and has a few stubborn marks that we have been unable to get rid of by sanding. When I wipe it with a damp cloth it goes darker and looks the exact colour I would like it to be (although I would prefer it not as shiny/wet look) and the marks almost disappear. Can anyone advise how I could get this look using oil or sealer? One forum suggested linseed oil but then we read elsewhere that it shouldn't be used on kitchen surfaces. We have tried slate sealer but it doesn't really change the colour at all. Any advice appreciated! Thanks

2. kitfit1

kitfit1 Screwfix Select

I've never fitted a slate worktop yet, so not shure if what i'm going to say will be of much help. One thing for shure though, Linseed oil is fine for worktops it's Tongue oil that absolutely should not be used.
    Personally i would go with Linseed myself, dilute 50/50 with Turps not white spirit and apply with rags. Don't throw the rags in the bin, stick them in a bucket of water.

Pauljen and KIAB like this.
  3. fillyboy

fillyboy Screwfix Select

kitfit1, KIAB and Pauljen like this.
  4. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

5. kitfit1

kitfit1 Screwfix Select

As it's spirit based it has to be worth a try i would think. Even if various products don't work for you OP, as long as they are spirit based you can use as many as you need until you find the right one for you. Just don't under any circumstances use anything water based. It almost certainly won't work, but applying anything spirit/oil based afterwards absolutely will not work either.

Pauljen likes this.