Second credit card

Discussion in 'Just Talk' started by Harry Stottle, Jan 28, 2017.

1. Harry Stottle

Harry Stottle Screwfix Select

Did you know that if you take out a second credit card on the primary one, you don't have the same rights relating to purchases as if you had used the primary one?

2. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

Never used a CC myself

3. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

What's a credit card?

4. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Have you had a cause to find this out?

5. No I didn't know that. But I only have cards in my name. Wife has hers in her name.

So, what are the differences ?

6. Harry Stottle

Harry Stottle Screwfix Select

Astramax. Yes, I had a credit card and Mrs S had an additional card on the same account. My wife bought something using her additional card but the item turned out to be not fit for purpose, we tried to obtain a refund from the retailer but he refused, we exchanged correspondence and I kept copies. After much effort it was clear that the retailer would not refund, so we turned to the card provider who pointed out that an additional card had been used and therefore it wasn't liable. After lots of arguing we contacted the local trading standards department who confirmed the same thing.
    Goodwill counts for nothing with banks, I pointed out that we had used their cards for over 20 years and always cleared the monthly balance, varying from £800 to £2000, in full by direct debit, but that had no effect. Needless to say we both now have separate cards with a different provider.
    Jack, you did the right thing in obtaining a separate card for your wife. The difference is that only the primary card carries the FCA enforced guarantees.
    Harry

7. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Thanks for sharing, like many others I was unaware of that clause :eek:, my wife has a card in her own name....................so I will now go and cut it up into pieces! ;)

8. Use a credit card to your benefit and you can have a months interest free credit on anything.

Its using it instead of money that is the problem with them.

Never spend more than you can clear in 1 payment. Or 2 or 3 if its a big purchase and the price is right to warrant the 1 or 2 months interest.

Buying like that can give you extra protection too. But not always, as harry found out

9. candoabitofmoststuff

candoabitofmoststuff Screwfix Select

My understanding is that, though there are some issues, that is not quite right...

I believe that if the "item" purchased is for the benefit of the main cardholder, even if only partly, (e.g. a significant purchase such as a fridge, christmas tree or holiday), then the protections still apply.

Regards,

Cando

10. I didn't know this at all, Harry. :eek:

11. I hope that's right... :)

12. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

Well I learned something today. Thanks!

13. facilities

facilities Guest

Good post Harry and thanks for the info unfortunately using the bank for over 20 years and paying your balance in full every month does not make you a good customer just the opposite in fact, the bank has been giving you an interest free loan all those years, they don't want you clearing the balance they want you in debt, but once again thanks for the post very enlightening

14. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

Just found this on Which.co.uk

Additional cardholders
    If somebody else such as your partner has a credit card and has added you as an additional cardholder, it's usually best to get the main cardholder to make any big purchases, rather than using the extra card yourself.

This doesn't mean that purchases made by a secondary card holder will never be covered, but it's best for the primary card holder to make larger purchases if you want to be sure of protection under Section 75.

If, however, the purchase is made with the primary card holder's authority and if they expressly request the purchase and will benefit from it - a family holiday, for instance - they will still be covered under Section 75.

15. candoabitofmoststuff

candoabitofmoststuff Screwfix Select