Seeking help! Out of square room....

Discussion in 'Kitchen Fitters' Talk' started by Charles Norbury, Sep 14, 2017.

1. Charles Norbury

Charles Norbury New Member

Hi all, wondered if anyone has any experience with cutting a slightly off 90 degree mitre in a worktop?
    It's a u shaped install and at both ends of the u are appliances which leave no room for adjustment whatsoever the worktop is exactly 600 deep and the appliances (integrated) plus doors plus pipes on the wall take up 592 so I can only scribe 5mm at most and still have an overhang.
    So has anyone ever tried cutting a mitre at say 89.5 degrees? Perhaps by packing behind the relevant pin when setting up the jig? Or would that mean it wouldn't fit right? I'm talking about the male side of the miter, to be clear.
    Or any other obvious solution that I'm missing??
    Many thanks in advance.
    Charley

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

I have a Variable Worktop Jig,which allows me to cut 85 to 95 degrees Left/Right hand joints.:)

3. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Its rare to find a perfectly square room Charley, so a lot of worktop mitres are cut 'out of square'.

Basically, you cut female first as normal. You then lay next worktop over and scribe underneath for the male. Keep the front pin in the jig and align till its parallel and clamp. Router away :)

PS I sometimes don't use any pegs, depending on how far out the corner is. There are limits to what you can do, but a few degrees here and there generally isn't a problem.

Charles Norbury likes this.
  4. Charles Norbury

Charles Norbury New Member

Thanks for the replies, good to know it'll work!

5. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

If you're tiling you can gain a little extra overhang as well.

CGN likes this.