self cleaning oven not cleaning!

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by sponge mom, Mar 20, 2015.

1. sponge mom

sponge mom New Member

Hi everyone, my first post so hope you can help. I was really excited to get my very first self cleaning fan oven( electroulux). Well, I made a massive dish of Lasagne yesterday and as usual half of it was left on the floor of the oven. As per instructions I switched it off and amazingly i could still hear the oven working and cleaning, or so I thought. Imagine my disappointment when i opened the door 2 hours later and the oven floor was still full of cheese, tomato sauce etc. `My husband, (who thought the lasagne was delicious) said maybe I should add some fairy or something to help with the cleaning? just like putting stain remover on clothes before the wash.I have read the instructions but there isn't really any info on the cleaning bit. Is my husband correct or is there something else I should have done. I am really disappointed as I thought it would save me some wear and tear on my old elbows form cleaning as my husband loves his lasagne and casseroles. Thanks for all your help

2. Ok, this is gonna cost you a plate of lasagne, but here goes...

Your self-cleaning oven, is it a 'pyro-whatsit' type? With catalytic liners?

If so, I understand what you may need to do is to set the oven to a cleaning cycle, and you'd only do this once in a while - not after every lasagne.

Anyways, this cleaning cycle requires the oven to become bludy hot, and it often also involves the oven door locking shut so's you can't open it during the cycle 'cos the heat would vaporise you instantly and your hubby would think you've simply left home, leaving a partly clean oven and pile of dust on t'floor.

So, if this is the case, you need to read the instructions.

If it ain't the case, and it's an oven with a pseudo-clean feature, then don't expect it to work all that well... It might cope with the odd bit of spatter, but not half a pan of las' all over the place...

3. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Well you know how it is when you do the washing up, you scrape the worst off the plates before washing! And yes, you should do this before placing in dishwasher.

So leave a sharp knife in the oven after switching off, then the oven will have something to scrape with before cleaning properly.

Hope that helps.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

4. sponge mom

sponge mom New Member

5. sponge mom

sponge mom New Member

Thanks for your replies . Andypandy, I detect a hint of sarcasm, but thanks for the info !

6. Mr. Handyandy

I guess you could leave your baking trays in there and have it clean them too?

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

7. Gee'us your address and I'll lick the darned over clean for you.

8. What's the oven's model number?

I'll look up the instructions, read them twice, summarise them for you and report back.

You chust sit down and make yourself a cuppa...

9. Mr. Handyandy

10. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

I'm not sure if all the surfaces on those self cleaning ovens are actually "self cleaning"

The self cleaning surfaces have a rough texture to them - maybe sides, back and roof only

Obviously too late now but when cooking any wet dish, place onto an oven tray to collect drips and lasagna explosions !

11. Our oven is allegedly self cleaning but to be honest , the best thing you can do is buy a oven liner and cut it to fit the oven floor.
    They are fantastic at catching all the splashes and over spills , and all you have to do is wipe them over and all the grunge comes off, no scrubbing, scraping just a wipe.
    We have had our liner in there for about a year and it's as good as new.

Hope this helps

12. Mr. Handyandy

We tear off a strip of tinfoil for the deck of the oven(also the tray beneath the hob rings).
    Just throw it away if it gets mucky.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

13. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

My self cleaning oven called Amanda (wife) :p:p:p