self levelling compound

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by jeremy blackmore, May 27, 2017.

1. jeremy blackmore

jeremy blackmore New Member

Hi guys

i have seen a question on here that i need to ask but no definate answer.
    i have concreted a conservatory base and it needs to be about an inch higher to match the existing building floor.

i need to know can i keep adding layers of self levelling compound after appropriarlte drying times between layers in order to bring the level up?

2. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Yes, but another option is to fix 25mm ply or Osb to the floor to bring flush with existing, what is your finish to be?

3. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Yes, but you could use a deep use leveling compound which can be used up to around 50mm, but due to it being a conservatory, I prefer to use a fibre reinforce compound, gives a stronger finish, & prime the concrete before laying compound to make sure you get a good bond.

http://www.wickes.co.uk/Setcrete-High-Performance-Floor-Levelling-Compound-20kg/p/154134

http://www.wickes.co.uk/Setcrete-High-Performance-Floor-Levelling-Primer-2-5L/p/154148

One other point, how long has the concrete been down, it need to be fully cured around 28 days before laying a leveling compound is laid.

Jord86 likes this.
  4. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Far superior response than mine, hats off to you again sir.

5. jeremy blackmore

thanks for this

the concrete only went down yesterday at 100mm thick.
    wasnt aware of the 28 day thing. is a diluted pva bond primer ok to use?
    would prefer to use liquid levellers that putting something under the compound that will eventually rot in time.

thanks for the help

6. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

It'll only rot if you have damp rising, which as you're pouring new concrete I imagine won't happen as you've surely put a dpm down, but doesn't matter anyway, KIAB suggestion more suitable than mine.

7. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

There is a lot of water in concrete, which needs to escape,evaporate, if you trap it in then there is a chance that the leveling compund will lift.

Diluted pva bond primer @ 4to 1 will be ok, give floor a coat the night before & allow to dry.

As with all leveling compound it needs a helping hand to find it's level, trowel it into place,& it will then settle, & a spike roller is useful for removing trap air.

Last edited: May 27, 2017
  8. jeremy blackmore

9. BMC2000

BMC2000 Screwfix Select

10. jeremy blackmore

wow a lot to think about

thanks

11. BMC2000

BMC2000 Screwfix Select

Actually, I wouldn't use the 1200g, and I wouldn't mech fix as it would defeat the purpose of the 1200g as it would be punctured heavily with screws.

Would consider the rapid DPM and bond OSB / Hardie Backer option though