Semi-split pipe insulation (or non-split)?

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Possom, Jul 18, 2017.

1. Possom

Possom Member

If installing new internal copper piping then it would be possible to simply slide non-split insulation over it before installing and soldering.

However, perhaps soldering an already insulated copper pipe is a possible fire hazard, therefore meaning that semi-split insulation should be added after the piping has been installed and welded?

Was wondering what comments were on whether to use non-split or semi-split insulation? Thanks!

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Semi split every time, safer option, too much of a fire risk with insulation in place to solder.

Possom likes this.
  3. Possom

Possom Member

Out of curiosity, what is the non-split intended for?

Perhaps it's for plastic piping, or perhaps for those who are prepared to take the time to semi-split the insulation themselves?

4. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Whenever I've used the split foam type insulation, I've also taped round the foam every 400mm or so. Keeps the foam nice and tight against the pipe and stops it (possibly) going baggy over the years (especially around bends)

Insulation tape, gaffa or parcel tape, it all works. Doesn't stick brilliantly to the foam itself but wrap around a few times so tape sticks to itself. Or use cable ties

Dont know if it's essential or if generally this is done in the industry. If your doing it yourself, couple quid for tape and ur labour is free so makes sense (to me anyway) :)

ramseyman and Possom like this.
  5. Possom

Possom Member

The semi-split foam which you're applying the tape to, is it not self-adhesive so the two edges of the split can be attached together?

6. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Some split foam has a self adhesive strip (Armaflex,Kaimann Kaiflex ST,etc), whereas Climaflex is just split.

Possom likes this.
  7. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Never knew self adhesive was available tbh !

Probably bought various makes over the years from various suppliers and it's just been split, so hence taped over

8. Possom

Possom Member

KIAB, do you use semi-split with a self adhesive strip, or do you seal it together with duct tape or cable ties?

9. Possom

Possom Member

10. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Semi split & aluminum tape/ duct tape length wise along split depends what tape I have,& duct tape or ties around insulation depends on access.

Possom likes this.