Shared hot & cold feeds

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by metrokitchens, Apr 18, 2015.

1. metrokitchens

metrokitchens Screwfix Select

Is it acceptable to run one feed from a cold storage tank in the loft to feed both a hot water cylinder and the cold supply to bathroom etc.?

2. Dave does Gas

Dave does Gas Screwfix Select

Not a good idea as you could in theory take more water away from the cylinder. Best practice is if you want a tank fed cold supply in the bathroom is to cut in a new feed in the tank.
    Having said that tank fed cold supplies to a bathroom are a thing of the past, something done in the 70s and 80s. All new builds are mow mains fed

3. Big Dunk

Big Dunk Active Member

is the cold feed for the bathroom to run a mixer shower? If so yes. I personally wouldn't connect off the tank for the sink though, I'd pipe off the incoming main leading to the tank.

4. Big Dunk

Big Dunk Active Member

Oops didn't see the bit about one feed only! Definately separate feeds from the tank one for hot and one for cold.

5. metrokitchens

Thanks all.
    This is a new install in a block of flats where we are removing the communal heat / water.
    Just wondering if it is acceptable to run a 28mm feed from tank in loft then branch to cylinder and taps.
    Existing shower is pumped and I planning on a sealed heating circuit.
    Any rules saying it is not allowed?

6. Dave does Gas

No Cylinder feed should be independent. Ive seen where people have tee'd in for a shower feed but this is bad practice.

7. metrokitchens

Cool. That's that then.

8. Dave does Gas

Just run a second feed off the tank for the bathroom supplies. But like I said earlier it's not often done nowadays as mains cold is cleaner water than tank stored water.

9. metrokitchens

if only. 77 flats fed by one 90mm incoming main at 4bar that branches off all over and ends up in lead in most places.

10. Dave does Gas

Think that you need to talk to the water board about additional supplies. Thats going to be horrendous for the end users