Shed cabled electricity supply

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Patrick Wareham, Feb 4, 2016.

1. Patrick Wareham

Patrick Wareham New Member

Hello everyone,
    I am new to the forum so forgive any mistakes, I have an underground cable supply to my shed (installed by an electrician) into a circuit breaker and then feeding 4 power sockets and 2x4' lighting tubes.
    I have the usual array of power tools ie drills, saws, grinder, and a oil filled radiator which all work as they should, recently I purchased a small Titan chain saw 240V when I try to use it plugged into the shed the circuit breaker immediately trips out on the power side but the lights are OK but the saw works perfectly on a extension lead from the house, in the last month I purchased a Titan table saw and the same problem occurred I have found that if I turn every thing else in the shed off including the lights the table saw will run if I have even a radio plugged and switched on it will NOT the same applies to the chain saw.
    Who should I turn to for advice and a solution to my problem.
    Regards Patrick

2. Phil Hyde

Phil Hyde Active Member

Is it the MCB or Rcd that trips?

3. Patrick Wareham

Don't know what sort it is, it is in the shed and its called a Proteus with 2 switches for lights and 2 for sockets and its one of the socket switches that trips out but does not affect the household supply.

4. sparky Si-Fi

sparky Si-Fi Screwfix Select

You need a spark to test and isolate it being either the faulty breaker,saw or something else

It needs a set of dead tests carried out. .

5. tina lucinda lane

tina lucinda lane Screwfix Select

sounds like having anything other than the big saw or chain saw is over loading the circuit in your shed

6. Patrick Wareham

It does seem to me that the rating of circuit breaker is to low, apart from those two saws everything else runs perfectly but those two are the biggest wattage tools I have so hence the trip out.
    The cable to the shed is about 20mm and there is 20m run to shed, I am wondering if I can get a higher rated circuit breaker?

7. nigel willson

nigel willson Screwfix Select

starting current of chainsaw!!!! probably a 16A MCB

8. Beefstu

Beefstu Member

What is the rating of the breaker that trips?

9. Lectrician

Lectrician Screwfix Select

Yep, prob a B16 tripping. Photo of CU?

10. Mr Rusty

Mr Rusty Screwfix Select

Yes, sure it will be start current. Titan table saw is prob 1500W, so draws somewhere around 6A at full load. Inrush current (LRA) can be, depending on motor, up to 6 times full load current, so that table saw might be briefly kicking 30+ amps - enough to knock the breaker. I'll leave it to the sparks to suggest the remedy.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2016
  11. Patrick Wareham

All sounds good sense but I know nothing about electricity apart the absolute basics I intend to get a qualified person to carry out any remedial work that's required but I prefer to know what the problem is rather than being in totally the dark(no pun intended) so hear is a pic of the unit for those interested.
    Thanks a lot
    Pat

Attached Files:

12. madhatter1uk

madhatter1uk Screwfix Select

That's a 10amp breaker ! That's 8.7 amps running current. add that to the 2.21 jigawatts of the radio and there's the answer to your predicament. The breaker is waaay to low, probably because the cable is waaay too small for the sockets and lights and their useage . Sounds like you need an upgrade to use it as a workshop. This is the danger of going cheap, despite the sparks advise. In the future you never know if you're going to buy power tools. Shedology says that a power supply capacity should always be > than anticipated and not < or = to.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2016
  13. Lectrician

What size breaker feeds it from the house? Turn it off in the house, take shed CU cover off, let's have a photo inside :)

madhatter1uk likes this.
  14. tina lucinda lane

defo change the breaker and make sure some one has not cheaped out with the cable. And also try a type c or type d breaker. (less likely to trip out from motor start up) hence why it is recomended that outside sockets are run off a type c or type d. As some lawn mowers can trip a type b on start up.

15. Lectrician

Type D should not be chosen willy nilly. It is often difficult to satisfy disconnection times with a type D.

FatHands likes this.
  16. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Yep to many people just chuck in a Type D without consulting the relevant tables first - it is not cricket tbqh.

17. tina lucinda lane

hence use a type c first then a type d if needed.

18. nffc

nffc Active Member

No. Install a C type. If it still trips re-wire the circuit so the OCPD can be increased. A D type is not suitable for general purpose sockets and I would be very very suprised of the earth loop impedance would be satisfactory even if it was on a dedicated circuit.

19. Lectrician

Exactly. Type D is used rarely, and for things like large transformers, fork truck chargers etc.

20. tina lucinda lane

ahh my bad (working on to many large installs for transformer back ups and big charger feeds recently) got type d on the brain lol.