Shed light trips RCD - how to drain water in the lamp? (photo)

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by billybongos3, Aug 15, 2014.

1. billybongos3

billybongos3 New Member

customer has a problem with water in the bulb, any tips on how to drain it out, so it works again?

Yeah, I get this alot... comments anyone !?

Attached Files:

2. FatHands

FatHands Well-Known Member

lol. how about getting the leak fixed and a light fitting a bit more suitable for the environment :)

Beefstu likes this.
  3. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

Get an IP rated light fitting!

4. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

This has surely gotta be a wind up question yes ?

If not, your poor customer :eek:

Beefstu likes this.
  5. billybongos3

billybongos3 New Member

no its not a wind up.:rolleyes:

6. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

You want to drain water out of a 50 pence light bulb. :p:p:p, you should be on telly, (Britian got talent) :confused:

7. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

What are you talking about Billy Bullsh*t (bongo)

Water in the bulb - impossible so that can't happen

Water in the light fitting - well firstly that's a ceiling rose so not really suitable to that environment is it . Water that has found it's way in will drip out due to a thing called gravity, helped by you unscrewing the cover

When you say "customer" that implies that you're a trades person of some kind and will be charging the customer for your services

Don't get me wrong, I'm just a diy'er but you asking this question .... Well that's just scary and you wouldn't be doing any work at my house

Have a nice day now and good luck

(It's gotta be a wind up ......pls say yes)

8. CraigMcK

CraigMcK Screwfix Select

"Water in the bulb - impossible so that can't happen"
    Do you guy's know nothing??? It's common knowledge that light bulbs have limited life. As anyone knows, heat converts oxygen into moisture. When all the oxygen in the bulb has been liquefied in this manner, it naturally quenches the element, thus the bulb fails. What you are looking at is electricity at work.
    If you're not going to give sensible answers, why post anything at all? :D

That Friday feeling:cool:

9. Phil the Paver

Ok a sensible answer, buy a new.

Pearl-Bayonet-thumb.jpg

Biffo likes this.
  10. diymostthings

diymostthings Well-Known Member

My father-in law used to have a party trick. He would hold a fluorescent tube under water in a bowl and it would light! He always did it next to a mysterious closed box which was quietly humming, but there were absolutely no wires connected to the tube!

diymostthings

11. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

'Britains', I think, is what Phil, um, meant.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

12. moppylhd

moppylhd Member

Being an electrician Billy, you should know the answer. But first get the roof fixed.

13. Phil the Paver

I think you maybe right, :p:p:p

Britains got no talent, here. :p:p:p

14. billybongos3

billybongos3 New Member

yes its true, the lightbulb is full of water, you couldn't make this photo up.
    It sounds like its the handwork of DIYDave! I think the lady doth protest too much! ;):p

15. moppylhd

moppylhd Member

I thought lightbulbs were a vacuum. Therefore no oxygen. Or the filament would burn out to quick. Or am I being thick.

16. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

I have seen this a few times and my theory is that water runs down over the lamp whilst it's on and hot which causes the glass to crack so that the air which is being sucked into the vacuum pulls water in with in it. Is that all too logical an explanation do you all think? :confused:

17. flateric

flateric Well-Known Member

What about a whipround lets get this chap illuminated once more I will go with phil the target for the fund is 50p

18. moppylhd

moppylhd Member

My pee is in the post.

19. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Surely there is some kind of inert gas put inside the bulb during manufacture!

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

20. moppylhd

moppylhd Member

This could be the answer.

[​IMG]