Shed spec

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by BMC2000, Mar 12, 2017.

Tags:
  1. BMC2000

BMC2000 Screwfix Select

Hi.

I am looking @ building a garden shed. Approx 12*8ft apex height approx 7.5ft. Either dual pitch or mono (pent) ,tbc.

I need to know what timber size is recommended for the wall framing.

I plan to create stud frame, wrap out side with some form of timber frame building wrap (any ideas of something good and cheap??). Fit slating laths vertically, and then close in with shiplap.

I will staple Airtec internally and put a warm roof on it, probably 50mm PIR on VCL and liquid roof or single ply.

And for floor, if I don't go for a concrete base, what size of joists and centres would be good for storage purposes, and is 19mm boards better than plywood for flooring?

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

4x2 for frame will allow you to fit some insulation in walls, osb3 for oustside walls, wrap with breathable membrane.

3x2 or 4x2 for floor joists, I go 450mm centres for joists, depends on shed use, 18mm exterior ply, you can get 18mm tanalised plywood which I'm using for my shed floor.

Breathable membrane look on Ebay might find a bargain.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2017
    BMC2000 likes this.
  3. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Morning mate. 3x2 treated for studs. Use a breathable membrane/building paper for wrapping the outside such as tyvek, (I'd put 11mm osb3 on outer studs before tyvek if it was mine, but it's overkill for a shed) but sheathe the inner side of studs with at least 18mm sheet material, can hang items on it then without worrying about stud locations. 4x2 treated for floor joists, build a frame, sit corners on 4x4 treated posts about 6 inches high, sat on concrete patio slabs is my preferred quickest/best way for a shed. Build walls on top of that then, keeps water ingress at bay. Either 400 centres and 18mm Osb flooring, or 600 centres and 22mm Osb or ply flooring, can also use chipboard but make sure it's P5 rated.

BMC2000 and KIAB like this.
  4. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

KIAB, your quicker with a keyboard than you are with a six shooter.......

5. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

6. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

I use to be very good with a six shooter many,many years ago!:eek:;)

7. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Well your hands still appear like lightning even in your twilight years :D :p ;)

KIAB likes this.
  8. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Oh err misses :eek:

Joe95 likes this.
  9. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

:D I may never be heard from again.......:D

10. BMC2000

BMC2000 Screwfix Select

Cheers lads, some great info there.

I was considering dropping the outer skin of sheathing and was thinking of going four airtec insulation as space saving, plus it's only a shed but I want to make it decent, just not house standard decent!

Something like this or better performing:
    http://www.screwfix.com/p/ybs-airte...pObzu0iygk_hvz_FIjmrumYB7UeK1mSPjoaAnIx8P8HAQ

If I was to using this 4mm thick insulation to the inner side of the sheathing (or framing), would you consider dropping the stud timber size, or would you keep them as is?

Finally, for the flooring, I'm paranoid of premature floor rot, I will probably look to put a VCL under the flooring, and some airtec or PIR beneath that and try and ensure air flow beneath the insulation/flooring.

11. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

3x2 or 4x2 for frame, as to floor sit floor joist either on a timber bearers with a strip of dpm along it's length to stop damp getting to shed floor bearers ,or I use plastic fence posts, don't rot, or soak up water.

And that insulation :eek:(any ideas of something good and cheap??), wouldn't use that, you ideally need a breathable membrane, I would still use a 11mm OSB 3 for outside wall,gives rigidity, but some some do just wrap frame & fitted batten to frame, then counter batten for the cladding.

Similar to this.

[​IMG]

BMC2000 likes this.
  12. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

I wouldn't go lower than 2x2 for the wall studs, but I would most definitely be fixing Osb to both sides if that was the case, so I don't really see any gain in losing an inch. If you use treated timber, keep the joist structure off the ground, you could use pre-cast concrete 6x4 lintel postcreted into the ground as your piers if you didn't like my earlier suggestion of timber posts on top of slabs?

Either way, it's a shed and it'll last a long long time.....

BMC2000 likes this.
  13. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Quicker again, you win :D

BMC2000 and KIAB like this.
  14. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Too small for frame.

BMC2000 likes this.
  15. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

I know but it's only a shed, that's why I'd put Osb both sides of stud, build it up to spec.

BMC2000 likes this.
  16. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Storage today, workshop/man cave tomorrow.:)

Joe95 and BMC2000 like this.
  17. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Ah, but that wasn't the spec, you're shifting the goalposts sir...... ;)

Either way, it's important to plan ahead for when the missus has locked you out the house, you'll be blessing the day you decided to insulate your dear old shed.......

KIAB likes this.
  18. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Futureproofing I say.:p

BMC2000 likes this.
  19. BMC2000

BMC2000 Screwfix Select

Osb 3 is in due to persuasive arguments for! Cheers

20. BMC2000

BMC2000 Screwfix Select

Trying to get an order list together and wanted to look @ a couple of the recommendations made above.

See the 4x4 bearers, do you make a lattice frame of these over the slabs or do use these like blocks; if so what length?

Roof joists, 3x2's @400cc ok for this do you think?