Shims - Steel or Plastic where sells them

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Steve_K, Aug 3, 2016.

1. Steve_K

Steve_K New Member

As the title suggest, i've just purchased a house that needs renovating. The downstairs ceilings had minor movement cracks so i thought i'd investigate... The ceilings are now down :).

Looking at the joists some are notched into a rsj, the others are floating over a wall, im sure these should have some sort of slate / steel shim underneath to support them and suspect this is the reason for the movement cracks.

Can someone advise on where i can pick up some shims? I've googled all over but can't find them.

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Joists notched into rsj's.:(
    I just use mild steel plate 4mm / 5mm or what ever thickness you require, steel stockholder or some engineer merchants will stock metal

3. philthespark

philthespark Active Member

There are also some hard plastic interlocking wedges that you can buy,knock one in from one side and one from the other and they lock together,going from both sides avoids any twists.Screwfix and toolstation sell them.
    https://www.toolstation.com/shop/p13272?table=no

4. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

It will be your decision but depending on the total load plastic may not be suitable - the total weight can cause them so spread.

Your local trading estate will have a machine shop with a decent Press Brake. Find the thickness and sizes you need and you can get them cut in minutes - cost a beer or two as they will use scrap. Grind a chamfer on an edge to get it started, that tap into place.

I use quite a lot of plastic shims - overcoming builders bad workmanship! I stick with the Broadfix Back Packers which are rated at 25kN - http://www.screwfix.com/c/screws-nails-fixings/shims/cat7290012 however I have bought from http://www.bryson.co.uk/product/index/01461100mmPlasticBattenPackers in thepast. The prices are comparable between the two.

KIAB likes this.
  5. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Have always prefered steel shims.:)

6. Pollowick

Depends on what they are being used for! Under an RSJ or full length joist, yes steel. To batten a ceiling and get them level, plastic and even on a small joist plastic can be perfect. The range of those with 1, 2,3, 4, 5, 6 & 10 is excellent and when really struggling with a hinge for example, they now also do a 1.5mm

7. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

I am idiot:eek:,just read op post, & your right:oops:,was one of those morning today,:rolleyes:I thought he said bedding rsj:confused:, other jobs plastic shims all the way.:)

8. Pollowick

I had to read it a couple of times and nearly made the same mistake!

I've also found a use for the 3mm plastics. When laying 600mm square, square edged floor tiles, I used them as spacers rather that those tiny plastic crosses. Easy to remove and run along the gaps to get the muck out! Quick rinse and then ready for the next batch.

9. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Same here, too fiddly using those tile spacers, & I use the 10mm shims for the joints for patio paving.