Should I fill my cavity?

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by fostyrob, Feb 16, 2017.

1. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Pipes & fittings need to be clean, & only a smear of flux on both.

2. fostyrob

fostyrob Screwfix Select

All new copper. De-burred and cleaned up ends. immediately prior to flux and installation. couldn't think of a reason why I suddenly started having issues so blame the brush- it might just be luck beforehand though!

3. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Wednesbury or Yorkshire pipe for me, got given some copper pipe & fittings a few years ago, no idea what make, but it was terrible stuff, they hated solder, all ended in scrap bin.

4. fostyrob

fostyrob Screwfix Select

I had been using yorkshire but at some point after I went through the first 60m i started incorporating wednesbury from screwfix. several of the lengths have been contaminated with something that is causing them to oxidise (maybe flux) whilst standing waiting to be installed...could be a compounding factor.

5. Yes, good quality underlay will reduce draughts a great deal, but you also need to seal around the floor's perimeter.

If you could be bothered, you could run a bead of sealant along every floorboard groove! That is not as bad as it sounds - I did that in a previous house. I used brown frame sealant which was less that £2 a tube. I had sanded the floorboards for staining, but was worried about draughts (even tho' it was an upstairs floor) so filled every gap with the sealant. Once stained/varnished a mid-oak colour, it looked great.

Seriously, the benefits you will get from insulating the floor will be marginal. It's the coldest part of the room for the simple reason that warm air rises. Also, timber floorboards are darned good insulators. If you want to spend numerous hellish hours stuffing whatever under these boards, then go ahead. I can pretty much guarantee you that whatever you stuff under there will be simply matched by that 8mm low-dens fibreboard layer, fully sealed, on top.

Ok, when I say I've done this, I did actually fit the fibreboard layer under the boards, but that was only because I was replacing the old broken and cut boards with new ones anyway - so I had bare joists to lay the fibreboards on to, and wanted sanded timber boards as the final finish. But the hallway I did is draught-free and the floor has no 'cold' issues at all.

6. 2shortplanks

2shortplanks Active Member

You can also run breathable membrane over the joists, seal with tape and lay insulation onto the membrane:
    upload_2017-2-16_19-34-56.jpeg

7. fostyrob

fostyrob Screwfix Select

I like to do things the hard way! I'm planning on doing whatever I finally decide to do without lifting the boards. Ideally the way you describe would be the way to go.

I do like the fibreboard option DA. I am not sure if we have enough clearance though or we will end up with a significant step going into the hallway. we are already getting thicker underlay and carpet than the more worn hallway so I suspect the gap will then be too big. Also the dedicated stuff is expensive- had a look when I went via B&Q (not that i would buy fibreboard there but the "dedicated stuff" was £60 for 14m2. I honestly can't see why it would be different from any other fibreboard other than it is branded with a cost to suit.

8. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

That's one minus point with using fibreboard you end up with a step, & you need to trim the doors.

Deleted member 33931 likes this.
  9. Absolutely.

Yes, of course if the floorboards were lifted then I'd suggest adding underfloor insulation in a heartbeat.

All I'm saying is that the floor is the least important of surfaces to insulate - especially if it's timber/chipboard - and the main issue to prevent is draughts.

Since you are DIYing this and are prepared for some unpleasant graft, then great - and good luck. Don't forget to take a radio down with you to R4, and you'll have hours of top-class progs to take your mind off what you are doing.

Yes, you'd need to make the 'call' whether it was worth coping with a small step caused by the raised height of using fibreboard - it didn't happen to be an issue for me as each doorway had a wide threshold plate on it and I had carpet on one side and bare floors (with FB below) on t'other, so the respective heights were very close anyway.

But I can tell you that if you stuff the underside with insulation and don't seal off the draughts, it will be a wasted task. I can also tell you with near complete certainty that an 8mm LDFB layer covering the whole floor (either immediately above or below the floorboards) and sealed at their edges will be as effective as whatever you end stuffing in between the joists from below.

10. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Stuffing in between the joists from below is easier I reckon, might need a blob of low expansion foam here & there though at the edges,were wall bows a bit.:)

Showing your class DA & R4, has to be Classic FM for me.:D

11. BBC Radio 4 or R6 Music.

No other options will be entertained...

12. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

Showing his age more like! lol :p

KIAB likes this.
  13. fostyrob

fostyrob Screwfix Select

if the aim it to reduce draughts coming through the floor other than slightly reduced thermal conductivity, what is the advantage to the bulkier and more slightly expensive fibreboards over a simple roofing breathable membrane?

For the most part draughts through the floor seem to be fairly minimal. the boards are t&g with gaps only where several have been lifted or holes created for access.

14. I dunno. I would certainly not use a non-breathable membrane as it will likely cause condensation and smells...

And if the use 'breathable' membrane, ain't that going to 'pass wind' too?

You don't have to feel draughts - in fact you almost certainly won't feel them coming from the floor itself. But when you open a door into that room - that's when you realise that your floor is a sieve :) Hundreds of tiny gaps = a draught that'll affect your room.

You don't have to use fibre boards, but I'd personally do something more than chust rely on underlay - unless you separately seal around the perimeter, under the skirtings. That might be enough.

But, we are all hoping you spend a few days underground and will post regular updates on how you're getting on... :)

15. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

Exactly, the subterranean counterpart to my loft "conversion"!!

16. fostyrob

fostyrob Screwfix Select

The perimeters are definitely "windy". as soon as you take a socket off you feel it coming through the back box. Will seal any skirting gaps with silicon then attempt to roll insulation on the "ceiling"...might stock up on masks!

17. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

If you going to do a job, do it properly. You can gain access underneath, you are doing work under there anyway so why not do it right? DA's way is ok but as you have access i would do as others have suggested. Plus, you could then also put a thin membrane on the top too! Never have a draft then!

18. fostyrob

fostyrob Screwfix Select

Plan on doing as thorough job as possible whilst I have the chance. Will keep you informed as to how I progress...it is going to be slow though as I have to do something with this mess first...

upload_2017-2-17_19-47-53.png

upload_2017-2-17_19-49-49.png

19. fostyrob

fostyrob Screwfix Select

Slow progress but not as half unpleasant as I had thought it would be. Started with the area with the most headroom fixing the knauf ecoroll into the jointspace with wire to retain it.

upload_2017-2-22_10-41-29.png

upload_2017-2-22_10-42-5.png

Insulation products have definitely come on some since the last time I used it. No more do you get that horrible rockwool itch this stuff is like a massive fluffy duvet.

Only about 10 times as much more to do...

Deleted member 33931 and KIAB like this.
  20. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Itchy coo insulation horrible stuff thank goodness it's obsolete now, bring back memories the fun we use to have with it when I was a nipper at school.:rolleyes::D