Should Trident be renewed?

Discussion in 'Just Talk' started by PaulBlackpool, Jul 9, 2016.

1. longboat

longboat Screwfix Select

Turn that frown upside-down, we could all be wiped out by an asteroid instead. :p

2. Phew - always looking on the bright side :D

:oops:

3. PaulBlackpool

PaulBlackpool Screwfix Select

4. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

The recent wars in Bosnia, Serbia, Croatia etc seem to have been forgotten.
    Genocide carried out by europeans on europeans for religious and nationalistic reasons.

5. longboat

longboat Screwfix Select

Did you do a stint over there, chips?

6. philthespark

philthespark Active Member

I think that madman in Asia is the one to watch,Kim Jong whatsisname,he's a real nutter,the trouble is the west has always liked to demonise Russia.Look at the outcry when he had a go at the ISIS mob,you can't reason with those idiots,he went in hard,which is what everyone else should have done,a rabid dog is a rabid dog,no matter how much you try to avoid doing it you know that eventually you'll have to put it down,sooner is always better imo.

Brian_L likes this.
  7. baldelectrician.com

baldelectrician.com Well-Known Member

My tuppenceworth.

Firstly I need to point out that I am not in favour of nuclear weapons, nor renewing Trident.

If we (as a country) decided to go for this type of thing then it makes no sense to buy someone else's system- be like France and do your own thing with your own people in total control.

The future of these things are not looking good- there is currently technology that makes unmanned undersea vehicles so advanced they could target and destroy one of these subs quite easily. So why bother developing one- spend the money on something more beneficial.

As far as Trident being a type of 'insurance' , well that doesn't wash - if you get your roof blown off then insurance will get you a new roof- Tridenf 'insurance' won't get you a new planet when the old one is nuked.

I would rather spend the money on our underfunded NHS rather than a phallus for politicians

On my last point
    The Scottish Parliament ( including Labour - Scotland branch office) have voted against Trident. Why go ahead with it when it may have to be relocated?
    Better to put it in another place.

Deleted member 33931 and btiw like this.
  8. He's 'mad', but not suicidal.

Like Putin, he quite likes the life he has.

(I'd sure love to see his downfall tho'.)

9. Fair do's - but that's not how it works as 'insurance'. Using your analogy, it would be more like the guy next door to you threatening to blow your roof off and showing you the pound of Semtex he's gonna lob at you if he feels like it. While he's grinning at you, you produce your own pound of Sem and tell him the same will happen to your roof if you do.

So it's meant to focus everyone's minds to not throw that lump in the first place.

A complete nuclear wipe-out of the planet is very unlikely anyway - if the unimaginable were to happen - some form of nuclear strike - it would almost certainly be 'tactical' and limited.

Not that that's much consolation of course... :(

10. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

I'm the Falklands War era, not that I went.

11. PaulBlackpool

PaulBlackpool Screwfix Select

12. Anyhoo, it looks like the next leader of the Labour Party - and quite possibly the next PM - is for Trident under current circumstances.

13. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Who's that?

14. Thought you would never ask :D

Mr what'shisface.

15. Oh, yeah, Smith.

16. Don't know nuffink about the cove, but I like the cut of his jib...

Ok, I am impressed by how he comes across - no mincing of words, no glibisms, he just seems to talk straight. And be decisive.

I like.

17. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

You taking about our Nige again. :):):)

18. He doesn't even have a jib - he's got a baw...

A very punchable one :D

19. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

MPs vote in favour of Trident.