Shower connection advice

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Jonnn, Jan 29, 2017.

1. Jonnn

Jonnn Member

Hello,
    I am hoping someone will be able to provide me with a little bit of advice. I'm a relatively competent DIYer, and have come across something I don't recognise.

We are current refurbishing one of our bathrooms. This is the second one we've done, so I understand the basics. We've stripped the room out. Attached is a picture of the shower connections (which I have currently got isolation valves one). The bottom of the picture is the isolation valve, the top is where the pipe enters the wall. It is a 15mm connection.

At the wall end is want looks like a square nut. I have tried undoing it, and it's rock solid. My theory is that its soldered onto the end of the pipe to allow the fitter to have something to grip, with a spanner, when fitting the shower.

Have I got that correct, or is it something else?

We are looking to fit a Grohtherm 1000 to the connection.This is a 22mm input (so I've brought this on myself for not paying enough attention when we got the shower unit). This does come with adapters, but looking at the instructions it appears as if the 15mm part of the adapter has to be sunk into the wall, in order for the decorative cap to touch the wall (hope that makes sense). As things stand at the minute it will be 1 to 2 cm clear of the wall, which defeats the point somewhat. If anyone knows a way out of that, it would be much appreciated. If all else fails, well have to get a different shower unit.

Thanks for any help,
    Jonnn

Attached Files:

2. Jonnn

Jonnn Member

Well it's uploaded the picture on it's side. So, the wall is the left and the isolation valve is the right.

3. Joe95

Joe95 Screwfix Select

Highly likely that silicone of Lock-tite was used, unusual to see solder on shower fittings. Doesn't look soldered either.

If you knock out the plaster around the fitting, you may find something like this attached to the wall:
    http://www.screwfix.com/p/p803wp-2-wall-plate-elbow-15mm-x/92934
    Or a similar mount.

Then you can also attach the adapter you need in this space.

Jonnn likes this.
  4. Jonnn

Jonnn Member

Thanks for replying.

The does fit with the pipes coming down the wall. And looking at that image my adapters would probably fit into that.
    I might give that a go. We have a plaster coming around in about a week, so I won't feel too bad if I make a little hole that needs filling.

I have I understood it correctly that I'll be able to undo it at the elbow?
    Is there likely to be lock-tite there and if so is it just a matter of brute force to get it undone, or is there a nack too i?

(Incase anyone is paying more attention than me, the connection into the show is 1 inch, not 22mm. I'll get there in the end)

5. Joe95

Joe95 Screwfix Select

Once you have a spanner around the chrome fitting, give it a sharp tap with a hammer. Nothing too hard, but just to break the seal. Very similar to breaking an Immersion seal.
    Don't go putting too much force into it, as it's possible the brass part is not secured to the wall, and you could snap the pipe in the wall and have a much bigger problem.

It might be easier to try and remove the whole fitting from the feed pipe and attach a new one, as it it likely that it is just a compression nut.

Jonnn likes this.
  6. Jonnn

Jonnn Member

Right then, looks like I've got myself another little job for one eventng this week.
    Thanks for the help.

I'll update when I've had a go, incase anyone else is looking that this.

Jonnn

Joe95 likes this.
  7. nigel willson

nigel willson Screwfix Select

That's a half inch tail screwed into a Half in male iron connection. Should have thread tape or sealer on it being a screw fit. Best not to do jobs like that of an evening, in case of!!!!!!!!!!!!.

Doall, Jonnn and Joe95 like this.
  8. Jonnn

Jonnn Member

Hi.
    Well it does look black, like iron. It's not too bad if it doesn't got too well on day one. The down-pipe is isolated on the next floor up (the whole house is a bit like that).

I'm getting a bit concerned that the wall elbows / iron pipe are 1/2" but the wall end of the adapter, that comes with the shower unit, is 15mm male connector.
    Since 1/2 inch is 1.27 cm (according to google) then it might not fit even if I can get the existing connection out.

9. nigel willson

nigel willson Screwfix Select

You have to adapt it. To 15 mm pipe which is what that tail is. That part is from a rad valve tail. They do the fitting you want in st8 and angled , half inch male iron to 15 mm copper.

Jonnn likes this.
  10. Joe95

Joe95 Screwfix Select

Good point:). I forgot to mention it, even though the one I linked is also 1/2:rolleyes:.

Jonnn likes this.
  11. Jonnn

Jonnn Member

Thanks everyone.
    On the basis that it's better to do something and fix it, rather than procrastinate forever, I've just undone one.
    As you pointed out it did take some persuasion with a nudging device. But I got it off and the new adapter fits OK.
    Even putting the connector with the isolation valve back it took some effort.

Thanks for the advice.
    Jonnn

12. saidur rahman

saidur rahman New Member

I think you should take a different shower unit but there's a lot of classification and value in shower filters. Recently I get one from online. I found it in a site which is store of shower filters. http://www.showerfilterstore.com