Shower Help

Discussion in 'Getting Started FAQ' started by Cathl, Nov 3, 2016.

1. Cathl

Cathl New Member

My shower cut out along with a few other sockets in the house. A switch had Reset to off position at electrics. I have set back to on. Now my shower won't heat up. I have changed fuse at shower which made no difference. Can anyone help? Thanks.

2. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Fuse at shower!!
    Pics of said fuse and consumer unit may be helpful...

3. Cathl

Cathl New Member

Hi

Thanks for reply.
    I have uploaded the box in the ceiling that had holds the fuse. The switch on the wall that turns on the shower and the unit it's self. Any light you can shed on this would be great. Cheeers

Attached Files:

4. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

The box on the ceiling looks like a transformer for a 12v extractor fan in the bathroom. Is there a fan fitted?

Does the neon light on the shower isolator light up when you flip it on?

5. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

Borked shower unit i would guess.

6. Cathl

Cathl New Member

No there is no extractor fan in the bathroom. Yes the light comes on when you flip it

7. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

If the light on the shower switch won't come on, then double check all the circuit breakers are 'on' on your consumer unit. Easy to miss sometimes.

That's the first thing to check, then we'll go from there...

8. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Typing while you typing :)

Does the light on the shower come on?

A shower circuit is pretty simple.
    Cable from consumer unit, to isolator switch, then straight to shower. There shouldn't be any fuse in between. Often, the isolator switch is at fault, as either the terminal screws in the switch become loose so the cables become loose or the contacts in the switch burn out.

As PC said, shower itself may have blown, but always need to test basics first...

9. Cathl

Cathl New Member

Hi

All the switches on the consumer unit are on. The light also come on at the isolator switch as well. Recently when the water has been running in the kitchen it the washing machine has been on the water is shower becomes scalding could this be connected?

10. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

What's the switched FCU for I wonder - surely not the shower as could only be max 13 A so that's a red herring

And if the shower circuit is faulty, this should be purely for the shower only so wouldn't affect any other sockets

OP says light is on at shower ISO
    Time to call a sparky I recon, you can't be messing around with the shower and supply to be honest

Just DIY here and simply muttering

Last edited: Nov 3, 2016
  11. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Looks like the shower element is dead.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

12. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Oh, you ought to find out what the ceiling switch(FCU) does as well. As said, nothing to do with the shower.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really