Shower Pressue not consistent

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Warrick, Jul 26, 2017.

1. Warrick

Warrick New Member

Hi experts,

I wonder if you could provide some guidance/suggestions.

We have recently had our upstairs bathroom redone. Although it's great we have a regular issue with the pressure of our shower. The old bathroom had a mains fed shower (8 year old mixer unit) and it worked very well.
    However, since getting the new bathroom, our shower pressure varies enormously. (mains fed also). There are days when it works beautifully and equally there are days when it's just a trickle and it's impossible to use.

We have a gravity system (cold water tank right above shower and hot water cylinder located next to bathroom). The boiler is an ancient but very reliable floor standing gas fired Potterton Kingfisher.
    The shower is a standard mixer shower unit.

As this has been on-going for a little while now, we have had 3 plumbers out to look at this (including the guy who installed the bathroom). The guy who installed it said we needed a power shower and there is nothing else we can do.
    The other 2 plumbers didn't agree (neither did I) with the installer and thought there must be something else as it often works just fine. But so far, nobody has been able to identify what the issue is.

We definitely do not want a power shower as it's noisy and extremely wasteful in terms of water usage (we have had it in the previous house but are trying to be more environmentally aware). We know that we'll never have the pressure of a power shower and that's absolutely fine. All we are simply after is a shower that actually works reliably with a reasonable pressure (like we used to have).

Would any of you have any suggestions as to what we might be able to look at next?

Many thanks in advance.

Warrick

2. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

I don't understand - you say the new shower is mains fed but you have a gravity system and hot water cylinder, so is the hot water also main fed (in which case how is it heated) or is the hot water gravity fed (in which case there's an issue, its unbalanced).

3. Warrick

Warrick New Member

My apologies, what I should have said that we have a gravity system for both the hot and cold water upstairs. Our downstairs cloakroom is mains fed for the cold water but not the upstairs one. I got my facts slightly wrong. :(

4. The Teach

The Teach Screwfix Select

Is your shower a bath shower mixer ? ie a combined hot/cold tap mounted on the bath with a flexi shower hose attached to the wall via a bracket.

if so when filling a bath do the hot and or cold reduce in flow ?

5. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Tbf, its not something I tend to fit on a regular basis, but as part of a bathroom refurb last year, fitted a Stuart Turner pump. Put it on the floor next to the hot water tank on a small concrete slab to prevent vibration and with the airing cupboard door shut, you couldn't tell it was running :)

Dr Bodgit and Warrick like this.
  6. Warrick

Warrick New Member

Thank you very much CGN. I hadn't heard of Stuart Turner pumps and have just looked them up. I may well have to get one of them as it seems like a good solution for what we need.

7. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

I've got a Stuart Turner 3 bar pump for the bathroom, just need to finish the log cabin before I start on that little project.

8. Warrick

Warrick New Member

Sorry I have only just seen your response. No, our shower is separate to the bath mixer tap. Having said this, the pressure for the bath mixer tap is actually very good.

9. Warrick

Warrick New Member

Excellent! I have just ordered a pump from Shower Power Booster as my builder recommended this yesterday. This should help with the pressure for our cold and hot water in the whole bathroom. I just hope it'll be fairly quiet when it operates.

10. Warrick

Warrick New Member

UPDATE

I just wanted to provide a quick update. We have had our Shower Power Booster pumps (Flowflex) installed earlier this week. They work extremely well. We installed our pumps in the loft directly above the shower. The two little pumps run very quietly and can only be heard a little bit. They simply plug into a standard socket. The water pressure is fantastic (6,5 litres per minute) and yet is not massively wasteful like an ordinary power shower (13 litres per minute) would be.

The plumber who came and installed it was really impressed and said he'd recommend it to his customers now instead of a power shower. Total cost including installation (which took 15 minutes) was £220.

CGN likes this.