Shower refit

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Stephen Barrand, Apr 27, 2024.

1. Stephen Barrand

Stephen Barrand New Member

I started what I thought would be a small repair job in our downstairs shower room, regrouting the tiles and replacing the shower door. The bathroom had been installed around 21 years ago.

Unfortunately, when I removed a couple of tiles to remove the shower door, it was clear that water ingress behind the tiles had soaked the wall. I had to remove all of the tiles and plasterboard, taking the enclosure back to the stud work. I removed the base too as the whole area felt damp.

I’m now planning on a full refit including, new base, screen and shower valve. My question is about fitting the base. The previous build didn’t provide access to the shower trap and the base was flush to the floor. Do I need to create some form of access to the trap.

Second question, when I fit a new base, do I need to remove the concrete pad and use mortar to level the new base?

I have added a photo to show the area.

Attached Files:

2. Truckcab79

Truckcab79 Screwfix Select

I’m amazed that nobody has yet designed a shower base with an accessible trap joint but unfortunately they’re fit and forget…..until they leak, which to be fair they generally don’t. Access if they do is to hack out all
    the new tiling and dig it back up or preferably take out a section of ceiling below which in your case isn’t possible.

Use McAlpine fittings only. If your new base comes with a waste which they often do then chuck it and buy McAlpine. They never leak unless you do something wrong.

Manufacturers spec is normally to bed on weak mortar mix but many people use tile adhesive.

Alternative to both the above is to lift it and put it on feet or a raised base. Google shower riser kit.

Stephen Barrand and Mark DM like this.