Shower switch problem

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Jiten, Apr 15, 2017.

1. Jiten

Jiten Member

Hi guys

I've had an issue when coming to installing a shower circuit. I have feed a 10 mm cable from a 45mcb to a double pole 45a isolator switch. I've then taken another 10mm cable from the isolator switch to the shower. Right, so my connections have been done.

So I made the connections as explained.

As the customer did not have a shower fitted in, no connections Were made

A couple of weeks later the customer has A plumber fit the shower, he also made the connections, which were quiet simple.

The problem now is when the isolator switch is on, the electric showers light comes on when the shower is in the off position.

so I turned the power switch on the electric shower (as this is also the temperature switch too) and what happen was it acted like a switch turning the double pole isolator off and on. This also made the RCD trip but still gave power to the MCB...

The shower circuit is on its own MCB...

Now I am completely confused to what has gone wrong on something so straight forward. I've done a continuity test on the connection from the shower to the dp switch, when I turn the shower switch on from the temperature gauge, the wires in the dp switch Become live, the shower is basically acting like a switch turning the neon light in the dp switch off an on.

Any help will be great. I'm kicking myself to what has happen. I personally can only point the fault to the shower, the customer said the shower was brought this February

2. fire

fire Well-Known Member

Who wired it into the consumer unit?

Jiten likes this.
  3. spinlondon

spinlondon Screwfix Select

Have you checked the plumber's connections?

Jiten likes this.
  4. Jiten

Jiten Member

I wired it into the consumer unit myself, but what is baffling me is why the shower switches the dp switch on and off. I added a new mcb and made my connections from the mcb to the dp switch, then another wire from dp too the shower

Last edited: Apr 15, 2017
  5. Jiten

Jiten Member

Yes I have checked the plumbers connections, what he had done was mess about with my connections at the do switch. Initially the power light on the shower was flickering. So I thought it would be a loose neutral, which it was. Once I put the neutral back in the shower light was on in the off position.

This is when I turned the power gauge once and it tripped, so I turned again and it then started to affect the neon light on the do switch.

6. spinlondon

Not sure whether you are talking about a problem with a neon in the DP isolator, or with a neon on the shower itself?
    If it's at the DP isolator, then it could be just that the feed and load cables have been reversed.
    If at the shower, it could just be a power indicator, intended to let the user know the shower has power and is ready for action.
    It may be that the neon has been connected to earth rather than neutral, which might explain why the RCD tripped.

7. Jiten

Jiten Member

whats worrying at the moment is why the dp pull cord switch is not cutting off the power. If I cut off the power then turn the gauge on from the shower, it activates the dp switch...

8. nigel willson

nigel willson Screwfix Select

If you can't work this out , should you be working on it? Only asking

9. spen123

spen123 Screwfix Select

Best advise is call an electrician to have a look for you. If you can't do this then disconnect the shower. Put the cable into connector blocks and see if the switch is doing what it should without the load connected. If it works fine then you have an issue with the shower if not then it's something with your connections

10. spinlondon

Are you saying that when you turn on the shower, the DP switch moves by itself, or that a neon in the DP isolator lights up?

11. Jiten

Jiten Member

Hi

What I'm saying is when the shower is actually turned on, the light on the dp switch turns off.

When I pull the cord in the dp switch the electric showers light is on (even through the electric shower is in the off position) when I turn the gauge on the electric shower it on it trips the RCD. The MCB still has power so when I turn it another notch the neon in the dp switch goes off, when I turn it the other way the dp switch goes on...

12. spinlondon

How many RCDs do you have?
    Are these RCDs or RCBOs?

Jiten likes this.
  13. Jiten

Jiten Member

Hi

I get what your saying, I've isolated the power and turned off the mcb. I've done these connections before, but what is baffling me is why this is happening. Why is the ShOwer gauge making the DP switch live.

From my experience I think it's the shower that is faulty as it's sending a live current to the dp switch, which means the connection is not doing its job correctly. I've heard that a part in the shower can cause problems.

If I don't try these things in a "safe" manner, I will never know how to approach the problem... with hunch is why I was hoping for a little guidance

14. Jiten

Jiten Member

This only has one RCD, it's not an RCBO

15. spinlondon

Sounds like you have connected the shower to a non RCD protected MCB.

Jiten likes this.
  16. Jiten

Jiten Member

Sorry there is no problem with the dp switch, I already brought. New one to cover that scenario, I also double checked the connections with the load and supply, they are both correct. Also the earth has been connected to a separate terminal, I did no attach it to the dp switch as it was slightly problematic

17. Jiten

Jiten Member

I have put the MCB on the other side of the RCD... But I thought this would be sufficient enough.

18. spinlondon

If you have connected the Line to the non RCD side, but the Neutral to the RCD Neutral bar, this would explain why the RCD trips but the MCB stays live.
    The MCB should be on the same side as the RCD or as you say, you should use an RCBO.
    With an RCBO, the Neutral from the shower cable should be connected to the RCBO and the Neutral attached to the RCBO should be connected to the non RCD neutral bar.

Jiten likes this.
  19. spinlondon

You should also look at the thin wires that come from the neons to see where they are connected.
    If any are connected to Earth this could be a problem, especially if you have not taken the earth to the DP switch.

Jiten likes this.
  20. Jiten

Jiten Member

Hi that is exactly what I have done... what had happened was before I had connections switched the wrong way which was causeing a trip, I then changed the neutral onto the other bar, thinking back I did forget to change the neutral back to the original bar...

So the issue really lies with the neutral being on the opposite side....

I can't see the wires on the dp switch, but I will try earthing the switch itself, hopefully this resolves the problem.

The only thing confusing now is why is the power light indicated on the shower constantly on... I thought once the temp gauge has been rotated once (as the temp gage has three heat settings) it would power up and the light would come on to indicate it's powered...