Skimming over paint

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by richhand, Feb 24, 2017.

1. richhand

richhand Member

Is it necessary to apply 2 coats of pva to a painted surface? As in the first coat left to dry then second coat tacky before skimming.

The paint has already sealed the surface so I am thinking only a tacky coat if any pva at all?

2. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

I'd put at least 2 coats on. Depends on the paint though. If it's shiny...silk etc, then don't rely on pva, use blue grit. You can also key it up with a Stanley knife to give a mechanical bond. I've had painted walls that still suck after 3 coats which occasionally you can use to your advantage if the area is small, but no fun on bigger areas as you constantly have to trowel up as you're applying it. Arms dropping off by the end of the day :D

3. richhand

richhand Member

ta mate just get it right..the silk paint isn't going to have much suction but it will be a poor key for the skim hence roughing it up?

I've only skimmed on board thus far you see

4. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Yep. Skimming over paint can be a bit hit and miss. If all depends on how well it's adhered to the plaster underneath. Score it with a Stanley, if it 'cracks' and starts to flake off back to the plaster, then chances are, it's not well adhered. I've had times when I want to get plastering, but ended up scraping all the paint off. Still better than all your skim cracking and ending up on the floor.

Silk paint though...blue grit, or at least, bash the **** out of it by keying it up. :D

Btw, just skimmed a bathroom ceiling today. Paint looked a bit shiny when I did first viewing although seemed well adhered. Decided to play it safe So blue gritted it on way home yesterday to be ready for today. It's not nice getting the first coat on...need to put it on a bit thicker, but ok after that.
    Btw, you don't need to pva over the blue grit.

5. richhand

richhand Member

Great! And if I've scratched up the silk paint good enough (and it stays on) then I'm assuming I wouldn't need to pva either?