Skirting and Unlevel floors?

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by stitch-up, Oct 16, 2015.

1. stitch-up

stitch-up Member

We live in an old house where nothing is square or level or anything else for that matter :)

we're just about to have the walls in one of the bedrooms plastered. I've removed all the old skirting ready for new.

The floor is uneven and just looking for tips when fitting the new skirting boards - my guess is that I fit them straight with a spirit level and fill any gaps, is this right?

On a newly plastered wall, what should I use to fix the skirting?

Any help appreciated.

John

2. tore81

tore81 Screwfix Select

Scribe them in if you can. You can't fill unless you mean. Adding beading

3. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

What type of floor covering are you going with and what is the floor at present, ie concrete or boards
    If a decent underlay and then carpet is being fitted, then this will take up some of the gap
    Depends on above and what size gaps you will be left with

4. tore81

tore81 Screwfix Select

I would always try and fit skirting level especially if you have external mitre it will be a ball ache lining them up.

5. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

:rolleyes: Of course fit the skirting level ......Doh.........

Skirts are often fitted with a small gap above the floor surface
    As I said, depends on what size gaps OP is talking about and finished floor surface

tore81 likes this.
  6. stitch-up

stitch-up Member

Thanks for the replies.

It's an upstairs bedroom and the floors are boards. We plan putting down a carpet. I was gonna say a shag pile carpet, but stopped myself, ooops!

John

7. tore81

tore81 Screwfix Select

There has been too much of that going on. That's why the floors are out of level lol.​

Try and source a quality timber merchant look down the skirting boards. Try and get them straight as you can if your picking them. Cause they can be can be twisted warped, cupped!
    They chuck anything on with deliveries.

Id cut them where they need to be or over cut them. Then you can see how the floor is going. In terms of level. See What you can get away with. Then see what your up against.

8. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

You'll be fine just fitting them to the floor. If you are having carpet, nail the carpet grips to the parts of the flooring that it touches only. Carpet should hide any irregularities.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

9. jeznotts

jeznotts Member

don't use a sprit level, just fit them to the floor as best as you can, if your floor is out and the boards are level, guess what will happen? and yes i know this was last month and you have probably now done them but, anyways for future reference!