Small Belt Sander?

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by Mosaix, Sep 7, 2016.

1. Mosaix

Mosaix Active Member

Hi

Thanks to advice I've already received on here I'm about ready to start sanding and varnishing some paneling.

There's a lot of it (a lot for me anyway) - 27sq mtrs.

I'm going to have some fitted bookcases in one corner so I've got and area of paneling that will be hidden and that I've been experimenting on.

As a result it has become apparent the the belt sander I have, a MacAllister, is too unwieldy for the job in hand and also too heavy and unsafe for doing such a large area up ladders etc. I'm getting on a bit now :(

Can anyone recommend a reasonably small belt sander that would be up to the job? Preferably one that could be used one-handed.

Also what grade paper should I use for cleaning off old varnish? I don't want to damage the paneling.

Thanks in anticipation.

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Any belt sander will be unwieldly, better off with a 1/3 sheet obital sander like the Makita BO3710, superb sander, had mine years.

http://www.screwfix.com/p/makita-bo3710-1-3-sheet-sander-240v/6330j

Also a delta sander is a useful adition to have, perfect for the corners.

I would start with 100 grit medium grade, 80 grit is coarse might be too course,once stripped you can work up to the finer grades 180-240 grit, when you come to refinish the panelling you could rub down with 320-400 grit between coats.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2016
    Mosaix likes this.
  3. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Makita BO3711 Orbital Sander 1/3 Sheet is varible speed model, low speed for coarse grits, higher speed for finer grits.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Makita-BO3711-3-inch-Orbital-Sander/dp/B002WU79PU

Been looking for a cheap 1/2 sheet sander, but nothing, advantage with the larger sheet, you can buy 10mtr, 25mtr, 50mtr rolls of standard 115mm wide sandpaper, & cut to length, cheaper than packs of sanding sheets.:)
    MacAllister do a cheap 1/2 sheet sander, but I have no experience of cheap brands, or the better option is to hire a 1/2 sheet sander for about £20 a week.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2016
    Mosaix likes this.
  4. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

I totally agree with KIAB, also consider a Tri-Palm Sander which really is a decent piece of kit for a job like you are doing.

Mosaix and KIAB like this.
  5. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Better than a delta sander, multi tool I think:), but advantage with a multi tool, is so many uses other than sanding, cutting, grinding,etc.

Think I go with Tri-Palm Sander.:)

Mosaix likes this.
  6. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

I have a Draper Tri Palm Sander (yes I know!), it is not a multi tool, non the less though it's totally 'BRILL' for about £18!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Although similar it is larger than a Delta Sander.

Mosaix likes this.
  7. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Got a Metabo FMS200/2 Tri Palm Sander, great little sander, only regret it's not variable speed version, also have a multi tool, but the Tri Palm Sander I prefer for most sanding.

Mosaix likes this.
  8. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Personally I prefer a random orbital sander, the Bosch GEX 150 is good, but you do need some form of delta sander or something like a Fein to do the corners.

Mosaix and KIAB like this.
  9. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

As advantages, especially with the finer grits , got a Metabo dual random orbital sander has two orbits, 2.8mm for fine finishing or 6.2 mm for quick removal with coarse grits.

Mosaix likes this.
  10. Tricky Dicky

Tricky Dicky Screwfix Select

Mosaix likes this.
  11. Mosaix

Mosaix Active Member

KIAB, Astramax, Chippy, Tricky thanks for your advice. I'll have a close look at all those. One thing that does occur to me is the weight difference. A light one seems to have great advantages considering the area of paneling that's involved. On the other hand the lighter ones seem to be single speed. Never considered before being able to cut sheets off a roll - obvious when you think about it. Thanks again. I'll let you know how I get on.

12. Mosaix

Mosaix Active Member

13. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

And some bad ones.

Would be better to spend the extra for a Makita BO3710,3 year warrenty.

You can get 93mm wide rolls of sandpaper, but I just trim down 115mm roll, off cut still gets used.

Mosaix likes this.
  14. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

You need a sander that will get into those corners really well a sheet type sander won't do that.;)

Mosaix likes this.
  15. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

It will do better than the random orbital I suggested.:(

Mosaix likes this.
  16. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Yes true, but you lost the plot ;)

Mosaix likes this.
  17. Mosaix

Mosaix Active Member

Thanks again, Kiab.

That was out of stock at my local SF branch so went for this:

http://www.screwfix.com/p/makita-bo4555-1-palm-sander-110v/93933

Only one years guarantee :( but I tried it out yesterday and it cleared a 500mm x 500mm panel really well in about 10 minutes. Really pleased.

Thanks for everyone's imput.

18. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Mosaix likes this.
  19. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

And you'll find some of the cheaper sandpaper rolls, clog easily, so use a decent brand like Mirka.

Mosaix likes this.