Smoothing small gaps in floor before vinyl

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by alexjb1989, May 19, 2017.

1. alexjb1989

alexjb1989 Member

Hi Guys,

We stripped out our kitchen to find what I think are the old original asbestos type tiles on the floor.

The majority of the area is very flat, so it will be ideal to lay the new vinyl on top off. But unfortunately in some areas the tiles have cracked so we have ripped them up.

To get over the worst of it, I used some self levelling compound with polymer. It has done a grand job. But in some areas (most likely due to me not doing it right) where the compound reaches the edge of a tile there is still a small level (gap) change. Only talking a couple of mm, but I'm worried it will still show in new vinyl.

Does anyone have any ideas whats best to use to smooth it even better. I wondered something similar to pollyfiller (but sets harder) I could use to scrape smooth to a feather edge so there was no immediate jump

Many thanks!

Attached Files:

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

It will show, how large is the area need to be sorted.
    Leveling compound always need a helping hand to find it's level.

Sam Rogers and alexjb1989 like this.
  3. alexjb1989

alexjb1989 Member

Thanks for the reply.

Can you see the pics?

The levelling compound has done most of the area. Its just where it meets the lip of the old tiles. I don't think I was brave enough pushing it all in.

4. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Don't know what it's called but there's a ready mix product for floors for this purpose. You can feather it out to literally nothing and it sands as well so you can get a perfectly smooth surface

Your right, any discrepancies will eventually show through the vinyl, depending on the quality, may be almost immediately or within a few months

Worth investing the time and a few quid now to get the floor as good as perfect. Pop into a flooring supplier and have a chat with them or good old Google will reveal the product

Don't be tempted to bodge it with filler, caulk, etc. Will end in tears. Right product for the job in this case is best option - good luck

5. alexjb1989

alexjb1989 Member

Thanks mate.

I've been looking for some ready mixed product.

Don't really wanna have to buy a another set of latex floor compound for such a small area!

Anyone know where to get the premixed stuff? I did think about bodging with caulk or mastix or even glue, but I think your right!

6. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Ardex Feather Finish is one product you could use, might be a powder not a ready mix but made for the job

Pop into a flooring shop or Topps Tiles, they carry a good range of admixes and may have a small tub on the shelf - will save you ££ in the long run :)

KIAB likes this.
  7. alexjb1989

alexjb1989 Member

Nice one thanks DIYDave Will have a look

8. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

That's the stuff,been niggling me all day,just couldn't recall the name, & expensive for a 5kg bag.:oops:

Sika Floor Leveller is another one which will do 6mm down to a feather edge,not sure on smallest bag available.

alexjb1989 and DIYDave. like this.
  9. alexjb1989

alexjb1989 Member

Fingers crossed I can find a small bag somewhere

10. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

alexjb1989 likes this.
  11. alexjb1989

alexjb1989 Member