socket behind oven

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by steve CF, Jul 23, 2005.

1. steve CF

steve CF New Member

would you consider a double socket behind a built in oven acceptable in terms of accessibility etc

its the standard set up of a cooker control switch above work top but instead of a cooker outlet plate, a double socket, (oven and hob ignition supply) behind oven

only problem i can assume is accessibility to plug top fuse but then its only a matter of removing four screws and lifting the oven out

any one know if this is contravening any regulations ?

2. mskelec

mskelec New Member

Steve, they do this in nearly all new houses, so I assume it's ok. Would it be possible to mount the socket in an adjacent cupboard and run the cables to it that way?

3. steve CF

steve CF New Member

i was thinking the same but then you have the problem of is it OK to mount the socket inside a cupboard ?

4. Bazza

Bazza Screwfix Select

To meet building regs it would have to be mounted on the wall with an access hole cut thru the cupboard back. Socket not allowed to be mounted on the cupboard structure -has to be attached to "building structrure".

Bazza

5. mskelec

mskelec New Member

All new houses mount the sockets inside the cupboard, for all appliances. That rule is farcical and even I don't adhere to it!

6. mskelec

mskelec New Member

NHBC have never even once questioned it, nor would any inspector with a brain. It's another rule invented by someone in an office who's never even contemplated the work a tradesman does.

7. mskelec

mskelec New Member

As a further point, most new houses have their consumer unit mounted inside a kitchen cupboard - although I do think that it is bad practice.

8. steve CF

steve CF New Member

totally agree there

9. To meet building regs it would have to be mounted on
    the wall with an access hole cut thru the cupboard
    back. Socket not allowed to be mounted on the
    cupboard structure -has to be attached to "building
    structrure".

Which Building Reg requires this.

For years I have reinforced the back of cupboards with 12mm MDF/plywood and used hollow wall back boxes. Never have I had this picked up as faulty , despite several recent Part P inspections.

I know that there have been several posts on this forum about this subject, but I don't recall the BR's being mentioned.

Certainly IMHO a socket in the back of a cupboard is far safer than one located behind the oven.

10. l00pd0g

l00pd0g New Member

Steve, why would it be a problem? After all, is this not how every dishwasher, washing machine, fridge, freezer, built in microwave, tumble dryer etc etc is done?

Provided there is local accessible means to isolate each point and that means of isolation is clearly labelled, then get it done.

<u>Loops</u>

11. steve CF

steve CF New Member

normally id put it in a cupboard to the side of the appliance but that method is now under debate if its acceptable or not.

regarding sockets behind built in appliances i was just wondering if it would be acceptable to have to remove the appliance to get access to the plug fuse if required

12. l00pd0g

l00pd0g New Member

I know what you mean, but this is getting into the old debate about sockets in kitchen cupboards. The people who don't put sockets in cupboards put the sockets behind the white goods and then make that socket isolatable (thats not a proper word is it lol?) from somewhere which is accessible.

<u>Loops</u>

13. Jimbo

Jimbo Screwfix Select

Socket not allowed to be mounted on the
    cupboard structure -has to be attached to "building
    structrure".

Bazza

Interesting, as from a tax point of view kitchen cupboards are considered part of the building structure.

14. Rabbit Rabbit

Rabbit Rabbit New Member

An absolute no-no Steve. Can't find it (yet) but I think it's in GN1.

Regarding sockets mounted on kitchen furniture that is also a no-no refer IEE "Sparkys Guide to Building Regs" page 56 section 5.2.2 .

15. steve CF

steve CF New Member

An absolute no-no Steve. Can't find it (yet) but I
    think it's in GN1.

Regarding sockets mounted on kitchen furniture that
    is also a no-no refer IEE "Sparkys Guide to Building
    Regs" page 56 section 5.2.2 .

so what your saying is that we can not mount a socket behind the built in appliance or put the socket in the cupboard ?

so only alternative is to have loads of switch fuses above work tops ?

16. steve CF

steve CF New Member

refereeing to the guide to the building regs

if you look at page 57 (i know its only a drawing) but they actually show sockets in cupboard and one behind the dishwasher

17. Sockets can be mounted in fitted kitchen cupboards. This old chesnut keeps ******* back. The rule is from years and years ago when the cupboards were not fixed but freestanding. You cant wory about 'what if the kitchen gets changed in the future' its not your problem . Back to steves original question. If you have the cooker switch above then that is your isolation. So it is acceptable to have that feeding a socket behind the oven. Fuses dont blow for no reason so you would want to check the appliance, connection, lead etc anyway.

18. l00pd0g

l00pd0g New Member

Yeah, this has to be the one of the most common topics on this forum (after Part P, Part M and Part F lol).

I really can't understand what all the fuss is about, and why there are so many no no's. Despite all the reasons for not mounting accessories in cupboards, and all the reasons for not mounting sockets fed via an isolator behind white goods, I still haven't reaad on this forum a GOOD reason.

<u>Loops</u>

19. Sorry Loops too many G&T's - good reasons for what?

20. l00pd0g

l00pd0g New Member

Yeah, this has to be the one of the most common
    topics on this forum (after Part P, Part M and Part F
    lol).

I really can't understand what all the fuss is about,
    and why there are so many no no's. Despite all the
    reasons for not mounting accessories in cupboards,
    and all the reasons for not mounting sockets fed via
    an isolator behind white goods,
    I still haven't reaad
    on this forum a GOOD reason.

<u>Loops</u>

Good reasons for the above, mate. Hang on. G&T? I would have lied and said stella or something.

<u>Loops</u>