Socket for tumble Dryer

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Scouse30, Apr 24, 2024.

1. Scouse30

Scouse30 Member

I need to install a socket for a tumble dryer in the kitchen which is located in a corner with no sockets. The existing circuit is radial, there is a socket in a kitchen bottom cupboard on a nearby wall . My question is if I installed a double socket on the wall where the dryer is, then ran a 2.5mm cable with a 13amp plug on the end to the socket in the cupboard would this be ok?

2. Refuse to Bend

Refuse to Bend Active Member

2.5 is oversized for suitable connection to a 13A plug.

3. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

I think you mean you want to add a double socket near to where the t dryer is and plug the t dryer into it? Or not?

In any case you should not be wiring plugs with 2.5mm twin.

Scouse30 likes this.
  4. Refuse to Bend

Twin, you mean three core?

5. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

The op said "cable" rather than flex but who knows until the they come back

6. Refuse to Bend

If you don't have sufficient information then ask questions before making assumptions. The OP mentioned cable and you have interpreted this as twin for what reason I don't know then suggest flex for what reason I don't know. How are flex and twin differentiated?

7. The Happy Builder

The Happy Builder Screwfix Select

That is what is known colloquially as an extension lead and is not recommended for supplying a tumble dryer.

Mrboomal likes this.
  8. Refuse to Bend

There is no reason why a correctly constructed extension lead cannot support the supply to a tumble drier unless you have evidence to the contrary.

Coloumb likes this.
  9. The Happy Builder

I said the use of extension leads for supplying tumble dryers is not recommended, some tumble dryer manufacturers like Beko go further and simply tell you not to do it.

https://www.beko.co.uk/support/how-...onnection-before-installing-your-tumble-dryer

It’s a good idea to test the power of your new Beko tumble dryer before you install it. Follow these simple steps to connect your tumble dryer to the mains power:

1. Do not plug your tumble dryer into an extension socket, only ever plug your tumble dryer into a mains wall socket.

10. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

I don't disagree but it means trailing cables all over the place and some MI say not to use them, for some unknown reason. Probably *** covering for thier warrenty. Reality is it's not the end of the world if you have no other choice.

Refuse to Bend likes this.
  11. The Happy Builder

Extension leads, also known as extension cords, are potentially trip and fire hazards.

The permanent or semipermanent use of extension leads should be recorded as an observation on an EICR as at least a C3.

12. WH55

WH55 Screwfix Select

Interesting …. I note it down as an observation / comment but, unless the condition of the extension cable or the socket it’s connected to is damaged or there’s something else wrong, I wouldn’t normally code it.

13. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

Link please

14. Refuse to Bend

That provides no legislative guidance and is is only informative from the manufacturer and nothing more.

15. Refuse to Bend

16. WH55

WH55 Screwfix Select

Ah, are you another poster who says that manufacturers instructions can safely be ignored ???

Sparkielev likes this.
  17. WH55

WH55 Screwfix Select

You need to read my post again. I said I wouldn’t code it.

18. Refuse to Bend

If my competence can be quantified then yes.

19. Refuse to Bend

Apologies I misread your post and deleted it.

20. The Happy Builder

Reference BS7671 Regulation 553.1.7 permanent and semipermanent extension leads warrant at least a C3 on an EICR.