Socket outlet with USB ports

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by pyro maniac, Apr 1, 2015.

1. pyro maniac

pyro maniac Member

Wonder if anyone can help with this?

To remove the risk of dodgy phone/tablet chargers I installed a couple of double sockets from S/F with integral USB ports.

Been in for a few weeks but my lad said he'd had a tingle when holding his iPod while connected and touching nearby radiator? Initially thought it was static, but I put a multimeter across the iPod on charge and the radiator and measured 90v. I thought there was some kind of leakage so I tried another unit I had installed to a local earth and this gave a similar reading?

So I went back to a 'dodgy' charger and plugged this in and this gave 120v between the iPod case ( silver back ) and the local earth and the socket?

The ELI on the circuit is ok and the radiator does not have any voltage when measured separately to earth.

Realise multimeters can give misleading vaues caused by induction ( don't have an analogue ) but there is definitely a tingle when I touch the rear of the iPod under charge and the local radiator - exposed metal paint chips or valve. The measured value is rock steady.

Thanks

2. Mr Rusty

Mr Rusty Screwfix Select

Interesting. I have just fitted one of these as well. On my multimeter I get the same reading on the back of a metal cased ipod - 90V ac between the case and earth. Checking with 3 other plug-in USB chargers I see between 30-90v. A quality USB charger from here http://www.allreli.com/products/power/charger.html shows the same 90v. I can't feel anything on my fingers at all - not even wet, but with a "tongue test" I can detect a very very very small voltage - much, much less than a standard 9v battery. (I presume everybody checks these to see if there is any juice left on their tongue??)

If I touch the ipod body to earth I can see a microscopically small spark.

But if I plug into the front of my computer I see 0v.

I suspect it is symptomatic of the small switch-mode power supplies they use in these chargers.

I can't explain it electronically, but obviously not knocking out the RCD so guess it is OK. Still - not what you would expect!

3. Mr Rusty

Mr Rusty Screwfix Select

Been round the house with a genuine apple iphone charger and get 62v between ipod case and earth on every socket. I think this is normal.

4. Welshdragon1

Welshdragon1 Active Member

That said, it should NOT be normal to get a tingle whilst it is on charge, therefore, if static has definitely been ruled out, then I would suspect a bad earth or connection

Phil the Paver likes this.
  5. retiredsparks

retiredsparks Super Member

Check earthing on all systems....with correct ELI tester.
    Check Main bonding.
    Use an analogue meter if poss....on iphone.
    You can sometimes get induced voltage on aerial leads due to local Mobile telephone transmitters etc.
    RS

6. Mr Rusty

Mr Rusty Screwfix Select

Been doing a little research on this as it's interesting. My electronics knowledge is rudimentary, but not non-existent. Found this reply elsewhere:-

"the fact that your power supply is double isolated does not mean anything.

there is most likely still at least one ceramic cap connected from the primary (mains voltage) side to the output. the purpose of this capacitor is to reduce the conducted electromagnetic interference (EMI) so that the power supply can legally be sold and meet the legal requirements that involve the leakage current being low enough not to cause a hazard to a person that touches the output connector of the power supply. the leakage current can legally be high enough to give you a real shock if your hands are wet. but not high enough to stop your heart.

the unfortunate thing is that these power supplies that do not have any ground connection on the primary side will leak some current through this EMI capacitor, so if you measure the voltage between the output and earth ground with a high impedance voltmeter you will see a significant ac voltage. that is just normal"

So, as far as my limited electronics knowledge goes, where you have a DC power supply supplied from AC mains, and the output is not grounded (i.e. just about all of them used for ipods, phones, and just about every other small appliance), the output can float at up to half mains voltage through leakage of the filter capacitors in the power supply, and this is normal. However, the leakage from the capacitors can never provide enough current to be harmful, and the amount of current is limited by regulation

I think we are seeing a problem where none exists. This article is relevant http://www.marcspages.co.uk/pq/3333.htm

7. Welshdragon1

Hmm interesting,

That said, the sparkies will be on later & will be able to shed more light on the subject

8. Rulland

Rulland Screwfix Select

Well I'm NICEIC ......wear marigolds whilst using your phone.

9. Welshdragon1

I wonder what model of iPhone it is, as it may be the iPhone 4 with the dodgy aerial that needs insulating ;)

10. pyro maniac

pyro maniac Member

Hi all,

Thanks for the response, I'm somewhat reassured by your investigation Simon and unless we are unique I suspect there is a technical answer to this. I can certainly feel it tingling through my fingers to the radiator but perhaps my resistance is lower than yours ( I drink a lot! ). In answer to the question regarding device type it is an Apple IPod 4th Generation. I know the regs make ref to a touch voltage of max 50v so we appear to be exceeding this by a good margin... But it's obviously not a 'real' potential or we'd have some serious issues!

11. Mr Rusty

Mr Rusty Screwfix Select

Having been reading up on earth leakage, filtration, EMI, etc in consumer devices (yes I'm not so busy this afternoon :p) I am now absolutely convinced this is totally normal. The standard that defines this seems to be IEC60950 which as far as I can discover specifies a (earth leakage) limit of 250µA for IT equipment. From what I am reading, the more efficient the EMI filter is the more leakage there is, so there is a play off when choosing the capacitors for the filter between better noise filtering and earth leakage. The filter capacitors in the power supply will leak current depending on their rating.

This phenomena shows up because these small power supplies don't have an earth pin (it's usually just a solid plastic guide), therefore the leakage through the filter capacitors shows up on the output side as a voltage, if the output side is earthed this leakage can be felt/measured. Safe as long as within standards. No need for marigolds My interpretation anyway!!

12. pyro maniac

pyro maniac Member

Another point for anyone interested... I have had some issues with a new IPad and took it into Apple Store this afternoon and they advised me that I should not be using these outlets with integral USB's. The tech guys even went on line to the screwfix site to research. They said that they had an iPad burnt out last week due to a USB port being used that was located in a power tower.

Welshdragon1 likes this.
  13. Mr Rusty

Mr Rusty Screwfix Select

14. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

Wouldn't surprise me if Apple started selling the new Apple iPower socket (a wall socket with integrated usb supply) How novel..... (just wait till they patent it) :p:p:p:p:p

15. pyro maniac

pyro maniac Member

Thanks Simon, that's a very good point. Wish I'd have know that earlier when I was speaking to them!

16. Rulland

Rulland Screwfix Select

The electrons in sockets vary dependent on where in this great country you live, lol, surely 5v at 1A is pretty damn universal.......isn't it?, or do we, as suggested, need to purchase Apple electrons and a vastly inflated cost.

17. pyro maniac

pyro maniac Member

Hi Rulland, if that's you in your pic, I'd like you to come round and test it for me!

18. PaulBlackpool

PaulBlackpool Screwfix Select

" I can't feel anything on my fingers at all - not even wet, but with a "tongue test" I can detect a very very very small voltage - much, much less than a standard 9v battery. (I presume everybody checks these to see if there is any juice left on their tongue??)"
    A 1.5volt battery maybe, Definitely nothing else!

19. Mr Rusty

Mr Rusty Screwfix Select

Been testing 9v batteries for 50 years on my tongue. Hasn't done me any harm yet..........:eek: tongue slightly more sensitive than wet fingers...........:D:D

20. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

You must have a long tongue :p:p:p

PaulBlackpool likes this.