Sockets not on a Ring

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Ianwillimas228, May 3, 2016.

1. Ianwillimas228

Ianwillimas228 New Member

Hi,
    I am having building work on my house, the electrics for the Utility room feed 3 double sockets, + boiler + Washing machine + Tumble drier + extractor fan. My electrician states that this does not need to be on a ring main and is wring a single run in 2.5 direct from the consumer unit. Is this correct ?

2. Comlec

Comlec Screwfix Select

Your electrician will have calculated the load and taken into account other factors in the circuit design. If he/she thinks a radial circuit with a 16A MCB meets the need then that is what they will install.

3. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Not very good at all tbqh..tell your sparks to have a rethink Lan.

4. Lectrician

Lectrician Screwfix Select

A washer AND drier on the circuit is too close for comfort IMO, even on a 20amp 2.5mm radial.

A 30amp 4mm radial would be better suited.

5. Comlec

Comlec Screwfix Select

I agree with Lec. Make allowance for change of use that may add more load in the future.

6. Ianwillimas228

Ianwillimas228 New Member

Thanks
    As there will also be a significant chance of ironing also going on in this room, I think this will be overloaded. , as most cabling has now been set into the wall is completing a ring the best option ? it is a fairly clear run back to the consumer unit.

7. nffc

nffc Active Member

Yes a ring or a 4.0mm radial would be better.

However I would not bother getting the guy back and look elsewhere.

8. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

Or a 20 amp mcb.

Comlec likes this.
  9. Lectrician

Lectrician Screwfix Select

Yes, that's fine. A second separate circuit for the two appliances is also an option.

10. peter palmer

peter palmer Screwfix Select

Bit imbalanced though, all the sockets on one leg and then a long run back to the CU without anything on it.

Personally I fit plenty of 2.5 radials but would never do it for a kitchen or utility, there is a big difference between a TV and a tumble dryer.

11. tina lucinda lane

tina lucinda lane Screwfix Select

just so im not barking wrong here but i thought the radial standard was 4mm (bigger where needed) and the ring standard was 2.5mm (again bigger where needed) having said that atm the father in laws garage has a radial (single socket) in 2.5mm with a spur in the same (the spur is a double socket) but the age based on the earth seleving is old (it like most of the house used solid green seleving) and im in the process of upgrading the garage electrics with the help of my brother in law who is a spark.

12. tina lucinda lane

so it using 2.5mm i put down to being done to an old standard.

13. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

2.5 mm t/e on a 16a or 20a mcb is perfectly compliant with current regs. (subject to length of run of course)
    4.0 mm if a 32 a mcb is needed.

14. Sparkielev

Sparkielev Screwfix Select

This Sparks being lazy, better to run 4mm on separate radial

15. tina lucinda lane

i see so in real terms it comes down to cost (when either coud be used and be with in regs)

16. Comlec

Comlec Screwfix Select

On a 20m run 4mm adds less than a tenner to the cost of the job. Hardly a great expense.

17. tina lucinda lane

that would be why then (as the cu in the garage is a 15amp fuse wire unit which has a bit of copper wire this supplys everything in the garage (there is and mcb with rcd in house supplying it) however this is going to be replaced)