Solder/flux question

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Gazzalad2000, Jan 18, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Gazzalad2000

Gazzalad2000 Member

Hi guys

Im doing my 1st house up and needing to save cash where i can so im going to have a go at some plumbing - ie soldering copper on the radiator circuit.

I bought some cheap solder/flux from screwfix for the 1st attempt and after some trials i thought id try some leaded solder to see how much better it flowed.

im noticing that even if i heat the pipe a lot, the solder i have doesnt run into the joint properly. im even heating so much its blackening the flux and the solder still doesnt seem to run right.

So is it because im using cheap solder? ive read tin/lead mix is best but do you know where is best to buy it? is the fry stuff sold here ok?

ps
    i now use powerflux and i read that that DOES work with leaded solder so it shouldnt be that i think

thanks

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Some great advice in our Mr Plumb's video's, there loads of topics covered.:)

I myself prefer to us a Mapp torch as used in video, it's quicker, the secret to good soldering is cleanliness of pipe & inside of fitting.
    Been using Powerflow flux & Fernox lead free solder for years.

http://www.screwfix.com/p/fernox-solder-wire-lead-free/77198

Last edited: Jan 18, 2016
    Kreg92 and Gazzalad2000 like this.
  3. Gazzalad2000

Gazzalad2000 Member

Hi mate

Thanks for that, im pretty sure ive got the cleaning bit ok, ive got a lower temp torch tho which isnt ideal but the solder ive currently got just seems to sit there and not flow, even though the joint os def hot enough which is what made me wonder if it was not the best stuff.

Im sure a time served plumber could use it no probs lol

thanks

4. mpcapri

mpcapri New Member

Are you sure there's no water still in the pipe? even a small amount can cause problems when trying to solder joints!

5. Gazzalad2000

Gazzalad2000 Member

yes pipes were bone dry, no worries there

6. malkie129

malkie129 Screwfix Select

I'm not a plumber,but it sounds like a cleanliness problem. Did you scour the pipe with wire wool?

7. Gazzalad2000

Gazzalad2000 Member

yes mate, both wire wool, and a little plastic tool that scours them and de burred the inside too. my main point for posting was that however much heat i used the solder didnt seem to want to melt properly or flow

thanks

KIAB likes this.
  8. mpcapri

mpcapri New Member

9. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Some of the problems could be the quailty of the copper tube your using, got some here & it's horrible for soldering.
    I alway use quailty Yorkshore copper tube usually from Plumbase as that's close to me.

Using powerflow fux & a lead free solder you shouldn't have any problems making perfect joints,if your cleanliness is up to scratch, just takes a bit longer with a propane toch compare to the hotter Mapp torch.

townfanjon likes this.
  10. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

You can pick up GoSystem QP8088H Quick Pro Auto Mapp torch, can be found fairly cheap on Ebay, & the Monument 3450G Mapp Torch around £34 is another good torch again on Ebay.

And use MappPlus gas, yellow canister.

11. Heat the fitting not the pipe,the solder will then run in.

12. Gazzalad2000

Gazzalad2000 Member

i was heating the fitting mate, i know the solder goes to where its hotter but i must be doing something wrong

cheers

13. plumber-boy

plumber-boy Well-Known Member

You just need practice and patience Gazzalad, the end of the day flux is flux, solder is solder, copper is copper and heat is heat it makes no difference.

Gazzalad2000 likes this.
  14. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Make sure you are using leaded solder for CH pipework, and lead-free for any potable water applications.

15. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Practice, practice.

16. Dave does Gas

Dave does Gas Screwfix Select

So if your having problems back to basics:
    Clean the pipe and check the fitting for cleanliness
    Apply the flux with a brush
    Make up the pipe and fitting
    Apply an even heat (patience needed)
    Touch the solder to the bottom of the fitting
    Wait for it to run evenly throughout the fitting
    Allow to cool before any movement.

No other way to do it, as has been said it matters not which flux or solder you use.

17. Gazzalad2000

Gazzalad2000 Member

thanks guys, its prob a case of poor workman looking to blame his tools lol

maybe the internal joints arent as clean as i thought, ill try again and let you know how i get on

18. Cannon86

Cannon86 Member

Too much heat can cause the fitting to go black and burn the flux out

19. aTECH4u

aTECH4u New Member

Hello guys,

I am a technician and the last two years I found a flux that cover all my needs.This product is the CS-FLUX and you can check all the details about it in some very interesting tutorials in the youtube. One very helpful is the following

20. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

Is it useful when trying to turn SPAM into Fritters?

Kreg92, Heat and WillyEckerslike like this.