Soldiers

Discussion in 'Just Talk' started by Harry Stottle, Jan 4, 2016.

1. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

The innocent people are not so easy to detect , they are wearing the same dress, even children are firing at the soldiers and laying explosives,

2. That is where - I am very pleased to say - that we differ.

Completely.

You great big christian, you... :rolleyes:

3. No-one would question a genuine mistake, Mr Plum.

If we let our standard crumble, we will no longer be the best in the world. It might not seem like it, but actually most populations in the Middle - and Far - East aspire to have the freedoms and civility of the West.

4. proby

proby Active Member

As long as there are ambulance chasing lawyers there are no genuine mistakes and the Middle East where civilisation started hasn't progressed in equality in thousands of years and I doubt will for a long long time if ever.

5. Ryluer

Ryluer Well-Known Member

Are you saying that if you were in the truck that day you wouldn't have wanted to pull the trigger?
    Of course you would you hypocrite.

6. PaulBlackpool

PaulBlackpool Screwfix Select

Well I would not have shot an unarmed girl nor called DA a hypocrite.
    Trouble is soldiers are trained to kill. Sometimes it is hard to stop them doing it.
    War is ugly and it is uncivilised and you cannot always in a war situation provide the same rights or guarantee the same responses as in a civilised peacetime situation.
    I obviously don't condone war crimes or gungho non-military action but neither do I condone ambulance chaser lawyers just trying to line their own pockets.

7. Ryluer

Ryluer Well-Known Member

You cannot know that.
    Have you ever been in battle? Seen your best mate blown to pieces beside you? Been shot at? Been blown up?

8. Yes, of course soldiers are trained to kill. And the system used in American in particular was (is?) almost to dehumanise them - make them almost animatrons - the idea being that they can kill without pause or remorse. To make them think of the enemy as sub-human. And we've all seen where that leads.

Wry, there is a big - a complete - difference between coming home from a war knowing that you've done the 'right' thing - fought and killed an enemy who is trying to destroy freedom, security and humanity, and coming home knowing you have debased yourself.

Even war has morals. On our side it's governed by the Geneva Convention. It's there for a genuine reason.

Wry, you are such a basic, simplistic buffoon. No depth of thought. Scant thought for ethics.

A not untypical christian.

9. Ryluer

Ryluer Well-Known Member

I give 110% support to our soldiers because I've lived through and seen war.
    You have never seen war so you are in absolute no position to judge. Except as an irrelevant armchair pc lefty warrior.

10. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

I'm not getting into this but from personnel experience I wish the government would support the soldiers who are disabled from the wars they have been sent into from the whims self serving politicians rather than feathering their own nests.

Deleted member 33931 likes this.
  11. That sounds great, Wry. A typically glib, self-serving smug claim.

"Me, I support oor lads. Whaa-hey. I'll give 'em all a pat on the back as they come orf the plane..."

Except, except - some of these soldiers, some of them, a few, a very small minority, are nothing more than mindless thugs.

Y'know - just the sort of people you just love to believe are infesting our streets in other posts - yoof of today.

I have huge pride in our armed forces - I repeatedly claim they are certainly amongst the best in the world. Our armed forces is one of many reasons why I think the UK is a great country.

But, not all of them are 'the best'. Not every single one.

They need rules too. And if they are incapable of following them, then the results are worse than for pretty much any other job.

So your throw-away, sanctimonious, full-hearted, unconditional support for oor lads sounds as hollow as most of your other 'claims'.

12. Ryluer

Ryluer Well-Known Member

Garbage as usual.
    From a sanctimonious pompous fool.

13. Ouch. You know where to land 'em.

Blighty - civilisation - has changed a huge amount in just the last 20 years. Go back 50 years, and the differences are hugely significant. Go back 100 years and things were truly Victorian...

Casual, blatant racism was the norm 50 years ago. Homosexuality was a criminal offence. Having 'one more for the road' was accepted with a knowing chuckle. Paedophiles were ignored - just considered as 'that weirdo you'd best avoid'. Incest was similarly tolerated - one didn't wish to make a fuss, hang out yer dirty washing in public. Wife-beating was ditto. Etc etc etc.

Some people hanker back to these days with rose-tinted, thick-lensed glasses.

The world has changed, Wry. In our country and the West - I know this will make you splutter on your toast - the changes have been HUGELY for the better.

We are a FAR more civilised people these days - more so than we've ever been.

I'm not in a position to condemn that soldier for shooting a wee kid for raising a Nazi salute (tho' I do...), but I would certainly lock away any soldier who did that these days.

14. ramseyman

ramseyman Screwfix Select

I just think in all of this it would be a terrible outcome if any of our soldiers are inhibited in any way from carrying out their job, or putting themselves even more at risk if at the back of their minds there is any tiny doubt that they might get prosecuted for doing their job in the heat of battle, protecting their own and their mates lives whatever they need to do to do that. I don't mean days after a what they now call firefight, lining up women and children and shooting them in cold blood, there is one heck of a difference in all of that.

Deleted member 33931 likes this.
  15. proby

proby Active Member

Somehow I don't think the original post was about murdering women and children more about protecting soldiers from compensation claims from the likes of lawyers for you.

16. Ryluer

Ryluer Well-Known Member

Yes I know.

280 soldiers have been hounded by IHAT in the last two years. Most of them will already have faced military investigations and have been cleared.

Wrongdoing has been shown in only one of 1500 allegations made against Iraqi war veterans. The IHAT has completed 18 cases in five years resulting in a £3000 fine. Yet this witch hunt still continues and is being allowed to continue.

Soldiers now face up to five probes.
    1 - Military Investigation
    2 - IHAT (Iraqi historical abuse team)
    3 - IFI (Iraqi fatality investigations)
    4 - ICC (international criminal court)
    5 - Civil Claim

This is how we treat the men who are sent off to fight in war. So that minority lobby groups can be appeased.

PaulBlackpool likes this.
  17. Ryluer

Ryluer Well-Known Member

I'm surprised that WW2 veterans are not being investigated. Those that are left.

18. If any had committed atrocities - like the Nazi regime did - then they should be.

Or do you think that 'we' should be immune?

19. I don't know if your figures are right (your claims seldom are) but for once I hope they are.

Only one case of wrongdoing in 1500 allegations? Cool. That's great news.

Wait, are you implying that there shouldn't even be investigations? Our 'boys' can do what they please?

Y'know what? I don't think even the armed forces would want that. They actually want to feel proud of being the best. They don't want rotten apples any more than, say, the police do. And you can only feel proud when you know it's deserved.

If you cheat at sport and win, then you don't feel genuine pride.

Gawd, you are such a simpleton, Wry. Absolutely nothing sophisticated goes on in your head at all. You are seemingly incapable of complex thought.

You are too stupid to even know when you are wrong.

You simply believe what you want to. Whether it's superstition or fantasy or politics or conspiracy theories or whatever.

A thought process not unlike a muslim fundamentalist. With emphasis on 'mental'.