Solid Wood Floor - Loose Pieces

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by Alan Sausse, Aug 13, 2017.

1. Alan Sausse

Alan Sausse Member

Hello forum,

I put a new solid wood floor into my flat last year. Glued ("Laybond" glue) to a concrete (screeded) subfloor.

For the most part it's worked really well - very solid indeed, no movement, etc.

However there's a couple of small areas where the floor is slightly loose, seemingly caused by small hollows in the floor which I failed to spot before I glued the wood to it. Hollow sound when you tap the floor and the bits of wood move up and down slightly when you walk on them. It's annoying more than anything. It would be nice to remedy it but I'm not sure how.

How might I do this? Don't want to lift the floor of course, but I'm not sure what else could be done.

Thanks,
    Alan.

2. Alan Sausse

Alan Sausse Member

3. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Last edited: Aug 13, 2017
    Alan Sausse likes this.
  4. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

If your lay wood flooring to a concrete or screeded floor, then it pays to use levelling compound first as it will give a nice level surface for your flooring.

Alan Sausse likes this.
  5. Alan Sausse

Alan Sausse Member

Thank you. I've used up the stuff I bought from Amazon on a single hole! I just kept squeezing and the stuff just vanished. Looks like I'm going to need quite a bit more, which could be expensive at £12 a tube. There's someone on eBay selling 12 cartridges of the Everbuild Lumberjack 550 for £32 which seems like much better value for money. Got a few more little creaks to deal with so I might treat myself...

Thanks for your suggestions.

6. Alan Sausse

Alan Sausse Member

As an afternthought...I still have about half a tin left of the original Bostik Laybond floor adhesive. What if I were to buy a biggish syringe (made of glass presumably because I don't suppose a plastic one would get on well with the solvent in the glue) and use that? Suck the glue out of the tin into the syringe, and then squirt into little drilled holes in the flooring as required? The Laybond adhesive is very viscous though - I don't know how well this would work.