Speedfit vs Copper - flow

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Paul GPvR, Jul 15, 2008.

1. Paul GPvR

Paul GPvR New Member

Hi,

I've never used plastic pipes for plumbing before, but i'm just about to redo the whole bathroom so i bought some 15mm speedfit pipes and connectors.

After trying them to test the connections i noticed after inserting the pipe inserts into the plastic pipe the actual pipe diameter is now nearly half that of a copper pipe.

Surely this will affect the flow rate to the shower, bath and taps?

I'm tempted to use normal 15mm to ensure a decent flow rate.

What do you think? Will i see a difference?

Thanks a lot.

2. ripitout

ripitout New Member

Hi,

I've never used plastic pipes for plumbing before,
    but i'm just about to redo the whole bathroom so i
    bought some 15mm speedfit pipes and connectors.

After trying them to test the connections i noticed
    after inserting the pipe inserts into the plastic
    pipe the actual pipe diameter is now nearly half that
    of a copper pipe.

Surely this will affect the flow rate to the shower,
    bath and taps?

I'm tempted to use normal 15mm to ensure a decent
    flow rate.

i would look more at the new taps you are going to fit they may be alot more restrictive than the old ones

3. doing a bit

doing a bit New Member

do it in copper anyway as its abetter job with end feed fittings, lot neater and guarantee no leaks or blown off fittings !

4. Captain Leaky

Captain Leaky New Member

Speedfit is fine, the flow rates are good in plastic, better than copper size for size. If you are worried about flow look closely at the taps and valves you will be using.

5. ripitout

ripitout New Member

do it in copper anyway as its abetter job with end
    feed fittings, lot neater and guarantee no leaks or
    blown off fittings !

blown off !!!! you must have been using them on chrome tube ***.

6. doing a bit

doing a bit New Member

well rip it out i did have a fitting blow off, the grip ring wasn't complete and it came off, a floplast one you are right about the taps as most of the quarter turn type are for high pressure only, unless it says different on the box

7. G Brown

G Brown New Member

Flo-plast is NOT Speedfit! They use different methods . Flo-plast is cheap n nasty.

8. ripitout

ripitout New Member

well rip it out i did have a fitting blow off, the
    grip ring wasn't complete and it came off, a floplast
    one you are right about the taps as most of the
    quarter turn type are for high pressure only, unless
    it says different on the box

did you use the collet clip? its good practice to visuallly inspect every fitting used wether its, ef, comp,s weld, pushfit, york,uponor,etc :)

9. Mr Ian

Mr Ian New Member

I'm thinking of swapping over to plastic. £110 for a bundle of 22mm today. ***.

10. rome60

rome60 New Member

Paul, i agree but not so bad as when inserts are in 10mm feeding radiators fitted on systems on the big sites.Interesting to see in a few years when the systems have been drained a few times & no inhibitor put back.Suppose you have to move with times,but i still prefer copper.:D:D

11. Paul GPvR

Paul GPvR New Member

Speedfit is fine, the flow rates are good in plastic,
    better than copper size for size. If you are worried
    about flow look closely at the taps and valves you
    will be using.

Captain Leaky - Why are the flow rates better in plastic than copper size for size?

Thanks for the replies guys.

12. HOTDOG ø

HOTDOG ø Active Member

There is less hydraulic resistance ( or summat ) in plastic than copper and plastic does not scale up. That is why plastic flow rates are so good.

13. rome60

rome60 New Member

But rodents love it:D:D:D:D

14. tomplum

tomplum Active Member

i'm not too sure about the flow rates being better, if you use them inserts with the double seal rings, then look at the internal diameter, its less than 10mm, hydro/resistance smmat or not,,i pefer copper allways,,old dog and new tricks syndrom i guess :)

15. wetneck

wetneck New Member

There is less hydraulic resistance ( or summat ) in
    plastic than copper and plastic does not scale up.
    That is why plastic flow rates are so good.

Beg to differ there coolcat,Plastic does scale up,Ive taken lots of plastic manifolds out that were scaled up,after the muppets[BG] failed on a £700.00 powerflush. ;)

16. HOTDOG ø

HOTDOG ø Active Member

..just read the tech specs again " Less prone to scale build up compared to copper" :)

17. Cornish Crofter

Cornish Crofter Active Member

Plastic pipes runs tend to have swept bends in some places where copper would need to be soldered together using elbows. Fewer elbows should improve flow anyway.

Manufacturers of shower pumps often recommend the use of Speedfit or similar as opposed to copper for this very reason.

Whilst copper was a sensible price I tended to use copper where it was practical and preferable to do so (Chrome plated for show, where it was relatively easy to solder or where the rigidity was important etc), and Speedfit where it was expedient/practical.

Speedfit is great for going across floor joists etc. You can drill joists in the neutral axis as opposed to having to notch the top of them, then feed the pipe through like cable.

The new fittings that you push and twist are much better than the early fittings they brought out. The twistlock action prevents most things from pulling the pipe out.

18. wetneck

wetneck New Member

..just read the tech specs again " Less prone to
    scale build up compared to copper" :)

Like you say,less prone,but can still scale up,just like Pullits todger

19. rome60

rome60 New Member

Basically running a hose pipe around the house:D:D:D

20. HOTDOG ø

HOTDOG ø Active Member

What? Dicks er Dick :)