Split face Tiles on Blocks

Discussion in 'Other Trades Talk' started by Jason-m, Jun 16, 2017.

1. Jason-m

Jason-m Member

I have built some garden border walls from dense blocks which i intend to tile with split face tiles, the walls are not retaining and will have slate copings..

The supplier of the splitface tiles has said i need to waterproof the walls first, is this so and if it is what do you recommend i use...

2. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

Are you tiling both sides. ???

I think you supplier assumes one side to be up against soil so could absorb water which then would be behind the tiles, which in the winter could freeze and blow the tiles.

3. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

You could applie a waterproof render to walls, then fix tiles with a waterproof flexible S2 type adhesive, which is also frostproof, like Ultra Tile ProFlex S2 or similar.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2017
  4. Jason-m

Jason-m Member

I'm only tiling one side. the bottom wall looks retaining but its not, there is another an old wall about 300 behind it and the gap if filled with bricks and slabs and then a bit of type 1 on top.

So if i am only tiling one side with no soil behind the walls would it be likely to blow..? If not would i need to waterproof it..?

As for render the original idea was to render it but i couldn't justify the cost of applying a render then tiling over it..
    [​IMG]

5. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Well, you aint going to tile direct onto concrete blocks, they will suck the moisture out of the adhesive & your tiles will eventually drop off.

And even if you primed the bare blocks with a acrylic primer, pretty sure you would have problems.

A bare block wall is unsuitable for direct tiling, even Ardex list renders for preperation of walls prior to tiling walls.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2017
  6. BMC2000

BMC2000 Screwfix Select

You could bond directly with an epoxy like this sikadur 31

KIAB likes this.
  7. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

8. BMC2000

BMC2000 Screwfix Select

It's dear, but factoring against a cost of a render then tile option I'm sure it'd be worth looking at, plus the speed.

This is also a full DPM if you were to go the whole hog and fully coat.

There's a bigger tin version, maybe it'd be a bit cheaper per m2

KIAB likes this.
  9. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Definitely.