spot lights wiring

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by hazy c, Aug 13, 2007.

1. hazy c

hazy c New Member

hi guys, wats you views on this
    my mate and i had a argument about wiring spot lights
    he says he does a star formation by using a 30amp JB
    with 1.5 to each light
    were as i, i loop mine in with 1.0mm from 1 to the other
    whats the best way would you guys say, cheers

2. ban-all-sheds

ban-all-sheds New Member

Whichever works better for you is the better way for you.

Whichever works better for him is the better way for him.

3. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

4. X

X New Member

All depends on the total current required and the size of the cable..

But both methods are valid.

5. young'un

young'un New Member

The best way is to link from one to the other. If i showed a star formation to part p inspectors they would probably question it. why? because you have to take a reading from the furthest point to make sure all the spot lights are earthed, if someone has put some sort of dodgy star formation in then every single spot light would have to be tested for an earth reading.

6. general matter's

general matter's New Member

many configs are possible! as long as fuse/current ratings are adequate. i either 6a mcb, 1.0mm2 t&e with 20a jb and 0.75mm2 hr flex or 10a mcb, 1.0mm2/1.5mm2 t&e with 20a jb and 1.0mm2 hr flex. i daisy chain with 1 jb per light! ;)

7. young'un

young'un New Member

With the subject of spot lights, i got an email from part p recently to say that a new regulation has been produced regarding spot lights, basically it said every spot light installed from now on must have fire protection covers.
    (you can get them from screwfix), they are a fire proof box which sits over each spot light. I dont know how long this has been in, but i got the email about a month ago.

8. *welsh.wizard*

*welsh.wizard* New Member

Use a china (porcelain) flowerpot. :)

9. young'un

young'un New Member

if you do a search for 'fire hoods' on screwfix you will see what i mean. :-D

10. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

if you do a search for 'fire hoods' on screwfix you
    will see what i mean. :-D

If you do a search on the screwfix FORUMS for 'fire hoods', you will probably see what WW means

Mr. HandyAndy - really

11. ban-all-sheds

ban-all-sheds New Member

How can a section of the Building Regulations send you an email?

Who really sent it?

Like some sort of reference to a government website? e.g. a Statutory Instrument on the OPSI site?

Did they explain what method was used to introduce this new "regulation"? e.g. is it a new part of the Building Regulations, or something else?

12. edward current

edward current Active Member

The best way is to link from one to the other. If i
    showed a star formation to part p inspectors they
    would probably question it. why? because you have to
    take a reading from the furthest point to make sure
    all the spot lights are earthed, if someone has put
    some sort of dodgy star formation in then every
    single spot light would have to be tested for an
    earth reading.

everyone should be tested anyway???????????

13. DandMElectrical

DandMElectrical New Member

Nope. Test at last point on the circuit - if there are 5 ends to the circuit the tester is going to have a really hard time, rewire it properly.

You have: -

(A) rings
    (B) Radials

not

(A) Rings
    (B) Radials
    (C) Stars
    (D) Figure 8's

Bad practise.

14. ban-all-sheds

ban-all-sheds New Member

That's all very well when you only have loop-in wiring with traditional ceiling roses.

With the plethora of ELV transformers and luminaires with only 3, or possibly even 2, terminals, how realistic is it to maintain that purity?

15. X

X New Member

Bad practise.

No sir.

16. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

In my front room there are four wallights..each individual light is wired into an MK 10 amp JB..aka star..bad practice? of course not.

17. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

In other words one JB for the four wallights..testing? whats the prob?

18. young'un

young'un New Member

thanks dandm electrical, someone talking sense at last.
    To answer from earlier the part p inspector who assessed my jobs sent me the email. Its an email that goes out to everyone with the same part p provider as me. It is an ammendment to part p, or a new regulation. Im not on here to teach people the regulations anyway. if you dont believe me dont bother using fire hoods. Its extra expense and extra work, but at the end of the day ive been told to use them so thats what im going to do.

19. young'un

young'un New Member

The dodgy jb's are a rubbish method of wiring and any decent electrician will not do it that way. If im doing a periodic test and theres more than one of these dodgy stars then il fail the test and put it down as a rip-out and re-wire job.

20. X

X New Member

whats the prob?

There aint any.....

Apart from the alternative incorrect advice

4 external security lamps (one on each corner)... choice = loop around the house or star from the loft.. measure R1 + R2 or R2 at installation and record the highest.

Its horses for courses.