Spray painting emulsion

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by imran_, Nov 3, 2009.

1. imran_

imran_ New Member

Guys,

Is it any quicker than rolling, for an inhabited house?? I need to do the whole downstairs - ceilings and walls - for a 4 bed house.

If spraying is a good idea, what's the best kit??? And will all paints work??

Cheers.

2. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

3. Teuchter

Teuchter New Member

Imran, are the walls and ceilings going to be the same colour?! If not, masking will be a nightmare.

Pros - fast way to get a colour change. Cons - paint layer will be MUCH thinner, lots of masking, etc.

I doubt it's worth it.

What are these pumped roller systems like? A good alternative?

4. Chippie is right.

But if you are used to spraying and the carpets are being changed then possibly, just possibly but watch out -

Overspray - onto windows, mist flowing under doors, build up on skirtings

Changing paint colours and cleaning kit

Thinning paint

Noise

Masking up

Suiting up

And most importantly, you cannot hear the radio.

5. imran_

imran_ New Member

Roller it is! Thanks.

6. rp12345

rp12345 New Member

Imran - tried it - don't like it, stick with the roller mate.

7. slightly_mad

slightly_mad New Member

8. freshtec

freshtec New Member

just roll it, by time you tape up and keep it all dust free and clean the sprayer you be faster to roll.

9. hallbeck

hallbeck New Member

I have used a Titan sprayer. It takes very little setting up and can be cleaned in 10 minutes.

I mainly paint new builds and complete renovations (i'm builder not a painter).

As said - if everything is the same colour it works best. If not then masking is a problem.

In an empty room you just need to mask the door and the window.

I reckon you can mist coat and then do 2 top coats of a average 2 bed semi in 90 minutes (not including masking) In these situations its much, much faster than a roller.

10. polly222

polly222 Member

hallbeck
    Do you find that spraying walls is ok until someone marks the walls and it wont touch up meaning you have to re spray the walls.
    As you know theres always a chance of someone damaging the walls just as you have finished them. Is there a way
    round this or do you have to respray the wall again.
    Cheers mate polly

11. hallbeck

hallbeck New Member

I find that a decent brush will touch up marks ok.

12. potty painter

potty painter New Member

Polly raises a good point there, no type of brushwork applied over a sprayed application will match the existing finish.

Potty.

13. polly222

polly222 Member

potty painter
    thats what i thought i didnt think you could touch up walls with a brush if they had been sprayed surely its got a different texture.
    cheers mate polly

14. potty painter

potty painter New Member

No. the point being a damaged or chipped surface painted with a brush will stand out like sore thumb. It may however be possible to feather it out over the existing. But it is not a practice of which I would recomend.

Bye the way, happy New Year.

Potty.

15. polly222

polly222 Member

potty painter
    Just what i thought potty.
    Happy new year to you
    Cheers mate polly

16. kevin duggan

kevin duggan New Member

i have been a sprayer for over 25 years and i,v got a HVLP spraying kit from earlex it,s easy to use and to clean if your going to use emulsion paint the secret is to water it down 15 percent then make sure you stir it with a drill and paint stirrer the paint needs to be whisked almost after about 5 min,s you will see the paint change to a nice smooth creamy texture witch the machine can spry if you get it right there wont be any spray flying about and it will cover easily im doing my house at the moment and iv got carpets and furniture just mask of and cover carpets i would never go back to a roller beside,s the finish is much higher quality but i cant stress enough you have got to give it a really good stirring