Stabiliser solution before or after filler

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by CandleSniffer, Apr 13, 2015.

1. CandleSniffer

CandleSniffer New Member

I have a few cracks on a half rendered house. The cracks are all towards the bottom of the render and range from hairline to a few mill wide. The bottom of the render is a bit patchy around the cracks and in a few other spots so I intended to use stabilising solution on the affected areas before painting. I am using Sandtex paint and stabilising solution with Ronseal fill item no# 71739.

Should I apply stabilising solution before or after filler.

In areas that have been filled should I apply a misting coat prior to painting over.

Thanks for your time

2. Hi Candle.

Sorry that no paint pros have replied. And I'm not sure of the answer.

However, I would suggest that if the edges of the cracks are dusty, powdery or slightly crumbly, then you'd either need to brush that fully away until you get to firm ground or else apply stabilising solution directly to this before filling (but obviously brush away any really loose stuff first...)

I have used two types of stabilising solution over the time at my current hoosie; one was 'solvent-based' (smelly) and was a Wickes product, I believe, and very recently I bought a couple of tubs of Everbuild stab sol for my dusty garage floor and this seems to be water-based (certainly a more pleasant liquid). The Everbuild product seems much better - it can be applied to all surfaces, old paint included, and seems so far to be working well. The Wickes product cautioned against applying it too thick so it left a shiny finish (not good), not to apply it to surfaces that were not dusty (ditto) and I think not even to apply it to previously painted surfaces (urgh). The Everbuild product basically says 'slap it on everything - it'll be fine...'.

I don't know what that Ronseal filler is like, but I think I'd make sure it's a cement-based filler (the type you mix with water and it sets chemically - not by 'drying out'). I would then proceed depending on what the edges of the cracks are like; if it is dusty/crumbly at all and no amount of stiff brushing helps this (ie - the render is a bit soft) then I think I'd run a wet Stabiliser brush well into these cracks to sort them first and then fill. If, however, the cracks are clean and firm, I'd just brush them down, dampen them, and then stuff the cement-based filler as far in as I could before wiping over. And then stabilise the lot.

3. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Last edited: Apr 14, 2015
  4. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Tourpret Murex is a cement base filler.

DA is spot on, remove all loose material & give the cracks a good dose of stablising liquid,working it in deep, allow to dry then fill cracks, when dry give whole area a coat of stabilising flulid.

It's important to stabilisie the cracks it ensures good adhesion of the filler.

Deleted member 33931 likes this.
  5. Phew - thanks, KIAB.

(I knew that me answering would get the pros active... :p)

'Tourpret Murex' - that's the stuff I was thinking off. It is very fine so will fill even tiny cracks, and sets rock-hard.

KIAB likes this.
  6. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

:eek: Pro, never been called that.:oops::oops:

One thing with Tourpret Murex add the powder to the water not the other way round, easier to see the consistency.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2015
  7. Don't get carried away - 'pro' has many meanings...:rolleyes:

KIAB likes this.
  8. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

It has, ive seen him around the back of Kings Cross station of a night time. :D

KIAB likes this.
  9. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Scuttles off to find dictonary:D

10. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Only thing I would add to above is don't overfill he cracks or spread the filler way past the edges of the cracks

I was doing same repair work prior to painting a couple of weeks ago, used the Toupret Ex filler , it's superb

With the rendered finish, even if it's a fine finish, when you fill, and smooth over with a knife, you end up spreading excess filler over the render, blocking up the texture of the render and ending up with a smooth finish, which will show up when you paint

I experimented and found best option (for me anyway) was to fill cracks but not spread filler all over wall either side, just using a smallish amount of filler at a time and working it into the crack

Excess filler I brushed off with an old paintbrush, leaving the texture I the render on show

For larger areas of filler I roughly smoothed over, then again used the paintbrush to texture and blend in the filler. Just scraping over with a knife will leave a smooth area which will show through the paint

Hairline cracks are impossible to fill, you just can't get any filler in there unless you enlarge. If the crack seems stable though, it seems more destructive to rake out sound material

Advice is often that descent masonry paint will fill these cracks and should give a little flex as well

I used a slurry of SBR and cement and painted this into the cracks, brushed off excess then. 2 topcoats of masonry paint

Not sure if this is what pros woul recommend but after reading up and playing around, these methods worked for me !!

11. CandleSniffer

CandleSniffer New Member

Ladies, Gentlemen and "Pros" :)
    Thank you kindly for taking time out of your day to answer my questions. It is greatly appreciated.

The stabilising solution ( Sandtex) I have already purchased along with the paint. I have not purchased filler though, I believe the Ronseal is ready mixed.
    So I will look for a local stockist for the 'Tourpret Murex'.

Thanks for the recommendations

12. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Competitor TS.

13. CandleSniffer

CandleSniffer New Member

Cheers KIAB, I will have to grab it next time I am down that way.