Sticking to textured plastic.

Discussion in 'Car and Van Talk' started by teabreak, Oct 1, 2015.

1. teabreak

teabreak Screwfix Select

Has anyone found a reliable double sided tape or velcro that will stick to textured surfaces inside cars like dashboards please? Despite cleaning the surface with meth I still find bits drop off after a while, I am fitting a new dash cam and want to put the rear view camera on the hard plastic trim (edge of the head lining) above the rear screen. Even wondered about silicone which will grip in the dips in the textured surface rather than just the tops of the bumps!

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

3. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Number plate sticky pads/ tape might work, but some take 24 hours to reach full bond.

4. As KIAB says - and the pads for sticking rear-view mirrors tend to be pretty strong. Try your local car accessory place.

Failing that... STIXALL :)

(Abrade the surfaces first, to be sure to be sure.)

KIAB likes this.
  5. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

If that don't stick it, nothing will.:)

6. teabreak

teabreak Screwfix Select

Thanks guys, not sure about squirting Stixall over me new car though! :D
    Guess what it's a VW! At the moment feeling smug because I went for petrol :p, just waiting to find out if they were messing with them too!:oops:

7. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

How about a 4" nail. Or if you might need to remove it a 4" screw?

Seriously the pads would be the best bet.

8. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Wonder if it might be possible to wrap a thin strap right around the trim if you can access the edges and get the strap behind. Then find some way to attach the camera to the strap. Maybe 2 straps aound the trim, and a couple of similar shorter straps around them and the camera base for attaching tightly.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

9. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

silicon sealant...sticks most thing you don't want stuck.

10. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Henkel consumer adhesives used to sell the tape that sticks badges etc to car bodies.

11. teabreak

teabreak Screwfix Select

I now have 3" of a cut nail sticking out of my car roof, does anyone know if that will be an MOT fail when it comes around?:p

12. Rulland

Rulland Screwfix Select

Nah, just say it's a yuppie aerial:cool:

teabreak likes this.
  13. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

Tie an isis flag to it and get it MOTd in Dewsbury and you will fly through

14. teabreak

teabreak Screwfix Select

Well I tried the stick on pad that came with it (thought I might as well give it a try) as expected it dropped off two days later, before I had even driven the car!
    It is now sitting wedged to the roof with some thin wooden stakes holding it in place while the silicone dries (just love Fernox LSX the pride of my toolbox!) stay tuned for more breathtaking developments folks!:D:D

15. teabreak

teabreak Screwfix Select

Took the supports away it fell off!:(

I reckon VW have teflon coated their plastic, perhaps it was overspray from treating their management. Oh dear! Of course it was a couple of rogue programmers fault!:p

Now on to self adhesive velcro, well it stayed on for a trip to the garden centre this afternoon that's a start.;)