Strange damp patches on Brickwork

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by justged, Aug 29, 2014.

1. justged

justged New Member

Can anyone help explain these damp patches that appear on my wall. A number of builders have shrugged their shoulders and been unable to explain.

The patches are worse during and after rain but do go lighter after it has been dry for some time. However, they do stay permamently dark. The mortar above the damp course also goes dark after rain but dries out after a while.

There is no pipework anywhere near this wall so it must be related to external moisture. 1970's bungalow if that is relevant.

Any help and advice on what I should do would be appreciated.

Pictures showing morning after rain and then 3 hours later after dry DSC_0278 v2.jpg

DSC_0280.JPG

DSC_0277 v2.jpg

DSC_0279.JPG

2. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

It is below the dpc so it could be just a capillary action sucking moisture out of the ground, it not anything to worry about, unless there are signs of damp internally.

3. Same as above plus, theres probably some build up bridging the wall, you could always cut a brick out and have a look.

4. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Has your car been parked there? Looks like could be petrol fumes (exhaust)soaked into the wall.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

5. justged

justged New Member

Thanks for the replies so far.

We only bought this place a few months ago and the survey reported no evidence of damp. In addition I have decorated the room on the other side of the wall in question and there is no evidence of any damp.

The wall is next to a path at side of house and not anywhere near a drive.

As consensus is no need to worry I'll leave it for the moment and just check it isn't spreading.

Cheers

Ged

6. justged

justged New Member

Hi, sorry to be a bit dim but could you explain what is "build up" bridging the wall please?

Thanks

7. When the house was built its not unheard of mortar dropping down the cavity, hence a build up.

8. justged

justged New Member

Thanks again - as above I'll just monitor and see if any spread before taking any action. It's quite possible this has been going on for years without any issues.

Cheers

9. As long as it stays below the DPC you'll be fine...